2 - The Field Behind The School

You felt something warm and light roll down your cheek.

With a dazed expression, you reached a trembling hand up to your pale face. Your palm came away damp with tears, you realised your chest was shaking too, from the shock of what you just witnessed.

Once you stepped slightly to your left and got a better view - well it was anything but better-you would have rather not seen it, things took a turn for the worse.

There in the distance, what you thought was a pile of backpacks arranged in a peculiar shape, was actually the body of a teacher.
It was hardly recognisable as human at this point. It looked like the bullet had exploded on impact and left a crater in the side of his face, the flesh was churned up in a pinky red mess - sort of inside out if you were going to be honest. Just looking at this image of pure agony made you want to violently empty the contents of your stomach onto the floor.

This is what had caused you such a strong reaction, but it was not over.
Once you looked even further you saw more of them. Like a sick trail of human breadcrumbs left behind for Hansel and Gretel.
The sheer amount of blood was staggering, who thought human bodies could hold so much of the red stuff?

Averting your gaze, you chose to focus on the murderer -the one behind the slaughter. Much to your dismay, he was marching towards you with a brisk step, gun in his right hand ready to shoot - its barrel was staring you straight in the face.

Before you could turn and run , its cold and cool metal was pressed firmly against your forehead. It would have been a really nice sensation if not for the fact you were about to have your brains blown out.

"Any last words?" He asked, his voice held no trace of guilt for what he had done mere minutes ago- if anything he seemed slightly annoyed.

Without knowing how to respond you simply laughed.

Thats right, in this crucial situation when you could be coaxing him out of commiting further crimes and persuading him to put the gun down you could only giggle out of pure terror. It was a reflex, a hysterical laugh; it was going to be your last one.

Or it would have been if not for the words:

" THIS IS THE POLICE, PUT YOUR WEAPON DOWN AND HANDS WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM"

Upon hearing this, the man swifly stepped to your right and grabbing one of your wrists, he yanked your right arm so sharply you thought it was going to fall off. Standing way too close behind you, he had pinned one arm against your back and his gun had now wandered to your temple.

Ah, so you were his hostage.
Just the thing you wanted on a friday afternoon....NOT.

Desperately trying to twist out of his iron grip did you no good, he only clamped down on you harder and pulled your arm up further so it became increasingly painful the more you squirmed.

The police were now conflicted, they couldn't shoot when there was an innocent civillian involved in the crossfire- they need to extract the hostage first.

"Easy now son, put the lass down and we can talk this out. Nobody else has to get hurt if you come with us quietly"

One policeman attempted to de escalate the situation and despite his calm demeanor you could see he was about to shit his pants. His brow was dripping with sweat , either from fear or the absolute heatwave happening right now. Oh Goodness, those bodies were about to stink the place up if this went on for any longer.

'Hah...'

Your captor only gave a low chuckle to this and at the same time the policemans face blanched as if he just saw one of the bodies back there stand up and walk.