{10} THE GIRL WHO LIVED

Start from the beginning

As the scenes from the past continued to unfold, confusion gripped the onlookers in the hall. A sense of realization dawned on some as they began to piece together the nature of what they were witnessing.

Among them, Charlie Weasley's insight cut through the confusion. He recognized that what they were witnessing was a flashback.

"Oh. It's flashback."

The realization brought a momentary clarity to the situation, aligning their understanding with the unfolding events before their eyes.

Voldemort started to gather some followers, brought 'em over to the dark side. Anyone that stood up to him ended up dead. Your parents fought against him, but nobody lived once he decided to kill 'em. [Mia's mother, Lily, screams in pain as she is killed by Voldemort's wand. Green flashes are seen from the windows outside the house. Then, Voldemort point his wand at an infant Mia Potter's head.] Nobody, not one. 'Cept you.

the atmosphere in the hall shifted abruptly from curiosity to a heavy mix of shock, surprise, and deep sorrow. The unsuspecting audience found themselves transported into a poignant and heartbreaking scene.

Among the crowd, Mia, Remus, and Sirius were particularly affected, as tears welled up in their eyes. The sight of their bodies struck them with immense grief, and the weight of the memory was almost unbearable. Remus and Sirius sought solace in each other's support, while Ron and Hermione stepped forward to comfort her.

Not far away, Snape fought to hold back his own tears as he witnessed the loss of the woman who had once been his closest friend and the love of his life. The emotions etched on his face conveyed a complex mix of anguish, regret, and the enduring pain of that fateful moment.

The hall fell into a collective state of deep sadness and introspection. The impact of the memory on those present was profound, leaving an indelible mark on their hearts and minds.

Mia: Me? Voldemort tried to kill me?
Hagrid: Yes. That ain't no ordinary cut on your forehead, Mia. A mark like that only comes from being touched by a curse, and an evil curse at that.
Mia: What happened to V... to You-Know-Who?
Hagrid: Well, some say he died

Fudge adamantly asserted, "He is dead," his eyes fixed on Umbridge who nodded in agreement.

Mia, fueled by her intense dislike for both Voldemort and Fudge, snarled defiantly. Her gaze pierced into Fudge's eyes, creating an uncomfortable tension. She despised him and his associates deeply.

"He is not."

"Don't try to deceive us, young girl," Umbridge nearly yelled at Mia. However, a stern glance from Dumbledore caused her to lower her voice, recognizing the need for decorum in such a charged situation.

Mia, undeterred by Umbridge's response, stood her ground. With a strong conviction in her words, she challenged their beliefs. "Wait until the fourth movie and you'll see," she declared, her words filled with a combination of anticipation and certainty. Her statement hinted at future revelations, implying that the truth would be unveiled in due time, leaving everyone in suspense.

Hagrid: Codswallop in my opinion. Nope, I reckon he's out there still, too tired to carry on. But one thing's absolutely certain. Something about you stumped him that night. That's why yer famous. That's why everybody knows yer name. You're the girl who lived.

The entire room was frozen with shock. Tears streamed down the faces of the younger students, their emotions overwhelming them. At the same time, the older students, along with the teachers, cast sympathetic and sorrowful gazes towards Mia.

Mia, in particular, despised the way people pitied her. It was a constant reminder that the sole reason for her fame was surviving the curse that tragically claimed the lives of her parents. The fact that she lived while they perished weighed heavily on her heart.

In frustration, Mia couldn't help but express her disdain for being defined by this tragedy and the pity that accompanied it. "I hate it when people look at me with pity," she murmured, the resentment evident in her voice. "I don't want to be known only for surviving. They died, and I can't escape that."

The gaze of pity and the awareness of her fame as the "survivor" left Mia feeling isolated and longing for recognition beyond her tragic past. She yearned for others to see her for who she truly was, separate from the curse that had marked her existence.

what do you thinkof the book so far?

what do you think
of the book so far?