[book 1] chapter eight: study buddy from hell

Comincia dall'inizio

    "Excellent. Don't be late, neighbour. And don't show up drunk either."

    "Why the hell would I show up drunk?"

    He put his pen behind his ear, his eyes gleaming with amusement. "You seem to have a knack for being intoxicated when we're alone."

    "It was one time!"

    "Ms. Parker, do we need to review indoor voices?"

    I slumped in my seat, avoiding Mrs. Frazer's death stare. "No, ma'am."

                        ~*~

    My crappy day had almost reached its end when the final bell rang. All I had to do now was work on the project with James and then I could go home and sleep. Liberation was only a few hours away. I could do this. 

    Inevitably it was much easier said than done. I walked out to the parking lot, almost at the safety of my car, but my phone suddenly vibrated. Peering down, I saw it was a text message from Brenton.

    Skipped fourth with Holden but if Mom asks we had a game

    I raised my eyebrows, interested to see what incentive I would get for keeping quiet.

    You want me to lie for you? Bad Brent

    If you shut up I'll make sure Alex gets home for the rest of the week

    Deal

    If that meant the next few days would be free of the awkward as hell car rides, then I was willing to keep secrets for anyone. My awful day took a slightly positive turn, but of course that didn't last long because just as I reached my car I noticed a familiar face. Leaning against my jeep was none other than Cade. He smiled when he saw me. 

    "Hey."

    "Get off my car," I snapped.

    "I want to talk."

    "I don't."

    "About the party..."

    I let out a sigh. "I really don't want to hear this."

    "Dani, please let me explain."

    "I don't want to hear anything you have to say," I told him.

    "But..." His voice trailed off and he stared at something past me. Following his gaze I turned around to see James standing a few feet away.

"Ready to go?" James said as he approached me. He stopped in front of Cade, who quickly stepped to the side. James then opened the passenger door and sat inside.

    I was about to follow but Cade grabbed my arm. "Where are you going with him?"

    "That's really not any of your business."

    He lowered his voice. "I've heard some things about the new guy, so be safe."

    I pulled my arm out of his grip. "If I want to be safe I guess I should start by avoiding you then." I walked past him and sat in the driver's seat.

    "Cute reunion," James teased.

    "Say another word and you're walking to the library."

    "Can you see that?"

    I raised my eyebrow. "See what?"

    "I'm quivering with fear."

    I sighed loudly. "I'm not in the mood."