[book 1] chapter four: drunken dani

ابدأ من البداية

    "Coming from you," Alex said without looking away from the TV.

    After Brenton ensured Alex wouldn't tell Mom where we were off to, we left. It should have only taken us ten minutes to drive to Holden's house, but thanks to my crappy navigator and driver it took a solid half-hour. "How do you not know where he lives? You two have been best friends since forever!" I exclaimed.

    "It's a complicated route," Brenton defended. "Too many turns."

    I gave him a flat look. "You take Maple Road the entire way to his house. There's not a single turn."

    He parked on the side of the street near Holden's house. "Shut up." 

    We got out of the car and walked to his house. The evening was brisk and I was suddenly beginning to regret wearing a dress. I had to keep quiet because if I complained in the slightest Brenton would start his whole I told you so ramble, so I had no choice but to toughen it out.

    The minute we entered the house, Brenton was greeted by his lacrosse teammates. "Let's get wasted!" he exclaimed, immediately forgetting his promise to be the designated driver.

    I swiped the keys out of his hands before he could get too far. If they were kept in his care, they'd probably end up in one of the toilets. 

    Brenton rolled his eyes when he saw the displeased look on my face. "Don't be a buzzkill, Dan."

    "It's called being responsible."

    "Screw responsibility." Brenton grabbed two cups off a table filled with snacks, handing one to me. "You're going to have fun tonight."

    "Who's going to drive, idiot?"

    He ruffled my hair. "Don't worry about it. I'll get one of the sober guys to take us home. Now go have fun."

    I grabbed him by the collar before he could walk off. "You're leaving me?"

    "Go find Amber or go mingle." A serious look appeared on his face. "If you run into that dick, come find me. Okay?"

    "Brent, I'm not a little—"

    "Okay?"

    I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, okay."

    He grinned. "Good. Bottoms up."

    "No thanks."

    "If you come to my party, then you got to have fun," another voice said. Holden bumped fists with Brenton and smiled at me. "Glad you showed up. Care for a drink?"

    I held up my full cup. "I'm good."

    Holden grabbed two cups from the table and he handed me one. "Chug the first and then the second."

    "Like I said before, no thanks." Someone had to be responsible and if Brenton wanted to be an idiot then it was on me to make sure we got home in one piece.

    "Come on, Dani," Brenton whined.

    "Yeah, come on, Dani," Holden mimicked.

    I rolled my eyes at their childish behaviour, well aware the duo wouldn't stop pestering me until they got what they wanted.

    "Fine." 

    I gulped down the contents in my first cup, ignoring the burning sensation in my throat. I then did the same with the second cup, making the boys cheer.

    "Bet you can't do another," Holden said.

    I arched an eyebrow, my lips curving upwards. "Is that a challenge?"