~2~

~2~

The next morning, I woke up at five. Like I usually did every morning, I got dressed, went to the kitchen to fix coffee and a light breakfast for everyone and then went to wake Dani, Matty and Seth up. Seth had to leave at work at six thirty and he would drop the twins off on the way. Just before it was time for them to leave, I went to go wake Savannah up and when I turned around, I bumped into Matt.

    “Dani and I both got that ready,” he said, giving me a hug and walking away.

I helped Savannah pick out her clothes and after she was dressed, she sat in front of me on the floor so I could fix her hair. She was normally my quiet child and never said much, especially on the lines of seeing her daddy smacking me around, so I was surprised when she brought it up before the bug ran.

    “Mommy, I’m scared,” she said.

    “Of what, pumpkin?”

    “Of daddy killing you,” she said in a quiet voice, as we walked out the front door. My breath caught in my throat and I was at a loss for words.

    “Honey, your daddy isn’t going to kill me.”

    “Than why does he hit you?”

    “I don’t know, I wish I could answer it.”

    “You don’t deserve it, mommy. Why do you put up with it?” she cried.

    “You want me to get us out of here? You want me to leave daddy?” I asked, looking her right in the eye. She opened her mouth to say something, but hesitated. She looked down at the floor and nodded.

    “Yes,” she whispered.

    “What if I told you I was already planning it?” I asked and she brightened up.

    “When?”

    “Dani and Matty packed their things last night,” I told her in a quiet voice. “After you’re gone on the bus, I’m going to go in there and throw your things together and mine and then I’m coming to sign you all out of school.”

    “Where are we going to go? Will daddy be able to find us?” she asked.

    “Honey, I’m afraid so but, we’ll be okay. I promise.”

    “I trust you,” she smiled just as the bus stopped in front of the house. “I’ll see you in a little bit?” she questioned.

    “Give me at least three hours,” I smiled. “Lunch time, okay?”

    “Okay,” she said, giving me a hug and running up the steps.

I watched as Savannah walked to the back of the bus and sat down. Waving at me, the bus drove off. When it was completely out of sight, I went back inside. I ran to Matty’s room and grabbed his duffle bag and suitcase and sat them in the kitchen. Next was Dani’s and after grabbing hers, I went out the back door and hurriedly threw the cases in the trunk of my car. I was thanking my lucky stars that no one was out there to witness what was going on because I was sure if someone had, they would tip Seth off to what was going on. As I rushed back inside, I rushed back to my room and pulled the suitcases out that we had in there.

Taking two cases with me, I went into Savannah’s room and started throwing her things in there. I was able to get a lot of hers together and when that was finished, I rushed outside with those. When I went back inside, I looked at my phone and saw that I had a missed call and wasn’t surprised that it was Seth. I called him back and he picked up the second ring.

    “Why didn’t you pick up?” he asked in a menacing tone.

    “I went out for a jog and forgot to take my phone with me. I’m sorry, honey,” I said, making a face.

    “Oh okay,” he said. Normally after I got Savannah on the bus, I would go job around the block but I skipped it today so I could get our things together. “How was it?”