*1*

A year ago I left Chicago to live out my dream of helping people who needed it most. I left behind my family, my husband, and my amazing friends. I missed Chicago every day, and it was finally time to return home.

My life in Chicago was not always the best, but Chicago was my home and all of my favorite people lived there. I couldn't wait to get back, but I was also nervous. I was afraid of how he might react to me returning, especially because it was only for a few days. I set aside my fears and boarded my plane. I was headed to a ball in Chicago to encourage investors to provide more money into the work we had been doing in Puerto Rico. The plane ride was a couple of hours long and I was really tired, but instead of going straight to the hotel for rest, I found myself on the North Apron of Firehouse 51 admiring the memorial set up for Brian Zvonecek. I couldn't believe Brian was gone. He was one of my best friends and I loved the memories I held of him and running Molly's with him and Christopher Herrmann.

"Gabby?" I had been standing there for a few minutes when I heard his voice. "Matt" I smiled up at him as I saw him walk towards me. I wanted so badly to give him a hug but I didn't think that it was right after the way I left him."What are you doing here?" I went to answer his question, but as I did the bell rang and he was called off to fight a fire and save some lives. As the rig pulled away everyone on truck 18 called out and said hi.

I loved it here this was my second home when I lived in Chicago and it probably always would be my home. While I waited for Matt to get back so he and I could talk, I went and said hello to everyone else. I went straight to Boden's office. I knocked and when he looked up it was as if he had seen a ghost.

"Gabby." He smiled and put down the paperwork he was working on to stand up and give me a hug."Chief." I smiled back as he hugged me and felt home again."So what brings you to town?" "Well, I am here to attend a fundraiser ball for my boss who decided last minute she couldn't make it.""How long are you here for?""Just the weekend," He looked a little sad that it was for such a short time,"I know a really short time, but they need me back as soon as possible.""I completely understand. What you guys are doing out there is amazing.""Thanks Chief. It was nice to see you again, I'm gonna go say hey to everyone else.""Of course I'll walk with you." He gave me a quick smile, which I returned, before walking out to the common room, where everyone was eating breakfast. "Is that Gabby Dawson I see?" Herman was the first person to look up. As he said this everyone broke out in cheers and came to greet me. "GABBY!?!?" I heard Brett call as she entered the room. She ran up to me and gave me a big hug, which I happily accepted with a smile on my face. "Who's this cute little girl?" I asked referring to the dalmation at my feet. "That is Tuesday,"  an unfamiliar male answered, "I'm Ritter""Well it's nice to meet you Ritter, and you as well Tuesday," I said only changing my voice when talking to the dog.

As truck 18 pulled up everyone jumped out and greeted me with hugs and welcome backs. Finally me and Matt we alone. It didn't take too long for him to look me up and down and finally give me a hug. I had missed his hugs so much. They were the one thing that always made me feel safe. And truth be told, I never really stopped loving Matt, we were just on two separate roads when we decided to get a divorce.

"So what brings you back to Chicago, Miss I'm-gonna-save-the-world?" Matt asked mockingly."A fundraising ball to get more supplies," I answered truthfully."Well, it is really good to see you again." He gave me his Matt Casey award-winning smile that always made my heart skip a beat. "I actually wanted to talk to you about this fundraiser." I was really nervous to ask him."Sure, what is it?" He was definitely curious to see what I had to say."I was wondering if maybe you wanted to come with me. I'm only in town for the weekend and I would love to spend a little time with you and catch up a bit.""I don't know if that's such a good idea Gabby." I knew there was a reason I was nervous. "You don't have to answer me right now, The fundraiser is tomorrow, here are the details. If you decide you want to come I'll see you there, if not goodbye Matt Casey." I gave him a quick hug before getting a cab and heading back to my hotel.