A small mass jumped up from the edge of the wall and attacked Sam’s feet. He tripped over the creature and hit the ground with a gasp. The animal hopped into Sam’s lap and tugged on the end of his shirt. “Oh, it’s just a puppy.” He sighed. Sticking his hand out, he let the dog sniff it. There wasn’t a collar on the puppy, but it seemed harmless and alone. “Hey buddy, why don’t you come home with me and we can get you cleaned up?” The puppy didn’t run away when Sam bent down to pick it up and he took that as a good sign.

As soon as he found his way back home, Sam placed the puppy in his bathroom, and quickly realized his lack of bathtub. “Well, I guess we are both getting a bath then.” He said picking up the puppy and turning on the water. Surprisingly the dog didn’t mind the water, in fact he enjoyed it; hopping around happily under the spray.

After changing his clothes and drying off the puppy, Sam called Jess. “So how do you feel about puppies?” he asked.

“You got one didn’t you?” She asked.

“Not exactly…”

“Then what exactly did you do?” She asked.

“I just found it! I don’t know what I’m supposed to do with him now! D’you want a dog?”

He heard Jess sigh through the phone, “No, I don’t have room for a dog, and neither do you. You know that.”

“But he’s cute.” Sam pouted.

 “Sam, you don’t need it.”

 “I don’t care. I’m gonna keep him.”

“You’re gonna regret this.” She warned.

“We’ll get there when we get there.”

Now all he had to do was buy dog things and take it to the vet. He at least knew where a pet store was which was less overwhelming. He hadn’t made any split decisions like this in a long time, and it was exciting. Sam searched the house for a makeshift leash and decided that there really wasn’t anything he was willing to use and he settled for carrying the puppy. It chewed on his index finger as he balanced it on his hip, locking the front door behind him.

Gabriel and Kali were in the parking lot, when Sam got outside with the puppy.

“OH MY GOD! Sammy! You got a puppy?” Gabriel squealed dropping Kali’s hand and running over to Sam.

“I guess you could say that.” Gabriel grabbed the puppy from Sam’s arms, scratching behind its ears and rubbing its belly.

“What’d you name him?”

Sam cringed, “I, I don’t actually have a name for him.

“Uhm, Socks, his name is Socks.”

Gabriel raised his eyebrows, “Socks? Really?”