First Day

I woke up to my aunt knocking on my door. “Shirley Bird? Wake up.” She said. 

“I’m up.” I groan and hear her footsteps walk away. Shirley Bird? Who gave her permission to use my middle name?

I walked to my freshly organized dresser and put on some tan capris that cuffed at my knees and a white collar top. I threw on a thin, navy blue sweater on top and tied a red and white hanky around my neck. I spent almost an hour putting the front of my hair in a poof with the rest in a ponytail. I threw on a pair of sunglasses and navy blue flats and slipped my cancer sticks into my pants pocket before heading out to the living room. 

Doody/Anthony POV

Sher came out of her room looking really fancy. Whether she was trying or not, she was gonna make a statement alright. “Breakfast?” My mom asked. “No thanks.” Sher replied while I quickly shook my head. “Coats?” My mom asked. “On, and I have  spare in my car.” Sher said as I held mine up. “Wait, car??” I thought. “Yeah car.” Sher said. I blushed and cringed, embarrassed at the fact I thought out loud.

“I’m drivin’ let’s go.” She says and we walk out to her car. A Cadillac Coupe Deville? Wow, the boys’ll flip!

I told her the directions to the school and she ended up stopping at the front of the school. People stared as she lit a cigarette. “Go on, man. I’ll catch up.” She says and I hop out.

I immediately see Sonny, Kenickie, Danny, and Putzie and walk up to them “Hey Doody, your mom got a new ride?” Sonny teases. I whack him. “No really, man, who was that?” Kenickie lights a cigarette. “You’ll see.” I say, just before we begin to talk about summer vacation.

Sher POV

I took an extra 10 minutes to reapply blush and lip gloss. I don’t like wearing bright lipstick, it takes away from my eyes. I walk into school with a whole bunch of stares and whistles. Glares from some girls, too. I went straight to the desk, I didn’t know where I was going but I got there.

“How many days until Christmas vacation?” A teacher asks. I ignore her. “86.” A girl beside me replies. I look at her from the corner of my eye, but she can’t see since I’m wearing sunglasses. “86?” The teacher groans. “And counting.” The girl says. The teacher walks away and I take a drag out of my cigarette.

The Girl POV

The girl next to me was intimidating. She looked mean, but I got this feeling like, I don’t know… Like her opinion mattered to me. So I introduced myself. “Hi, I’m Sandy Olsson.” I say. She looks at me. “Sher.” She replies. “I’m new, um… Are you as well?” I ask. She lifts her eyebrows, signalling “yes.” I nod. “That accent, uh. You’re from England?” She says. “Close.” I giggle. “Australia. And you? Your accent sounds like you’re from New Jersey?” I say. “Parents from New York. I’m from Utah. Sandy, Utah.” She says. I thought it was neat my name was the city she was from.

The vice principal came and delicately handed us our schedules. She had just painted her nails. “See you.” I said before walking away. “See you.” Sher replied.

No One POV

Sher looked over her list and stayed in the office until the bell rang. No one, going in or out, dared to ask her what she was doing. Not even teachers told her to put out her smoke. When the bell rang, she decided to walk up to the principal and ask directions. “Hey.” She called. 

The principal didn’t hear her due to disciplining a boy. She heard snickering and saw her cousin and some boys laughing at the boy. “Oh, hey Sher.” Doody said.

She decided to play it cool in front of these boys and nodded up. “Anthony.” She said. 

The boys next to Sher were gawking. Once the principal finished talking Sher caught her attention and asked about her schedule.

Doody POV

As Sher talked to Principal McGee, we walked away. “Anthony?” Putzie teased. “Who was that chick?” Kenickie asked me. Before I could answer, We saw Eugene walking down the stairs and picked on him a bit. We headed straight to our classes right after. 

Sher POV

Sandy was in my first class, since I missed homeroom. I strutted and sat in a seat next to her. “Miss Allen, is it?” The teacher says. “Sher.” I reply.