Chapter 16

I could see Dallas turn the corner close to the Curtis'. I ran even faster almost catching up to him. He arrived at the house and was about to open the metal gate when I stepped in front of him. Blood contiuned to stream from Dal'snose. He pushed me out of his way, opened the gate and walked down the path to the door. I grabbed his arm and he stopped. Once again, I walked in front of him to talk to him. Dal easily escaped my grip and stared at me with a mean face that was actually scary.

His face began to soften and I asked him "Can you explain?" Dallas walked up to the steps and sat on them ready to talk. I smiled and sat next to him. "What was that?" I asked picking at my nails. "I hate him" he growled becoming angry again. "What's the story?" I said trying to get more information out of him. "Johnny was walking through an alley from somewhere and your stupid brother and a bunch of his friends jumped him" I looked at him shocked. I've never knew that greasers jump greasers. "He was lucky that I was passing by to beat them up or Johnny could of been dead. It was that bad" Dally said holding his head in his hands. "I'm sorry I didn't know, but he still is my brother and I love him" I said shaking and worried of what Dally's going to say. "After what he did to Johnny!" he said standing up and becoming stiff. "Oh like you've never jumped anyone! I'm not saying what he did was right! You are such a hypocrite!" I screamed standing up as well.

This was our first fight out of the couple weeks we have been dating. Dallas walked right by me bumping my shoulder. He stomped up the steps and walked through the door, slamming it. I wasn't going to let him win so I copied his exact actions. Dally was already comfortable in an armchair wiping the dripping blood from his nose. Everyone looked really uncomfortable because they knew something was up between us. I sat as far away from Dally which was next to Ponyboy. Dallas gave me a deathly glare which I happily returned. "Something wrong?" Pony whispered in my ear. "Yeah, but I don't feel like talking. Thanks" I said whispering back to him.

After about 10 minutes of dead silence, the only sound was Mickey on T.V, and Dally continuing to give me glares I said to Pony "I'm ready to talk" He nodded his head and we both got up and headed for the door. "Where are you guys goin'?" Darry asked in a fatherly tone. "For a walk" I replied. Dar nodded his head as we walked outside.

"What's up?" Ponyboy asked as we finally reached to old bus seats at the vacont lot. "Dal and I had our first fight" I said getting emotional. "What was it about?" he questioned. "Today at the Dingo, I saw my brother who I haven't seen in about 8 years. Turns out Dally knew him and hates him. They got into a huge fight and now I am mad at both of them. My brother, Kevin, said he doesn't even care about me and I told Dally that even though what Kevin did about jumping Johnny was wrong, I still love him. Then I called him a hypocrite because he acted like he's never done anything wrong. Am I right?" I said rambling.

"Wow. Umm..." Ponyboy said thinking. "You are right about Dal being a hypocrite and I think you should still love your brother because ya know he is your brother" he said trying his hardest to give good advice. "What about the fight between Dally and Kevin?" "Well, Dally was trying to save someone in the gang and Kevin was being a stupid jerk so, I would have to with Dally on this one. That doesn't mean hate Kevin it just means that Dal's right."

Dally was right. Dally was right. I repeated that statement over and over in my head. Maybe Dally is right.

***** 

Lisa Nacy Cooper

Hair: Dark blonde 

Eyes: Green 

Age: 21 

Height: 5'10