Closed Case

Norman waited inside the car, watching the smoke rise from the cigarette he held outside the window. He couldn't remember the last time he even smoked, surprised he didn't choke on the first drag. Sheer boredom was the only reason, and perhaps the need to keep something from his old life. Ashes fell to the parking lot ground, being blown away by the wind immediately. Despite the chilly fall air, Norman kept his arm half out the window. He felt tired from the thankfully finished case, the fact that the case was worked on with Blake just making it more tiring.

"Those can kill ya, Jayden." The lieutenant spoke suddenly, leaning in through the driver side window. The ex-agent glanced over, flicking the cigarette to the floor. He rolled his eyes, tugging on the seatbelt with a silent sigh. Blake was still incredibly impossible to work with, and even more outside of work. Norman only glanced over when the car started, rolling up his window. The smell of smoke was still in the air, but the lieutenant wouldn't care. Norman knew that, a fact that he wished he didn't get the chance to know.

"I'm aware, I've had that told to me plenty of times." The private investigator muttered, rubbing the side of his head slightly. "I'd appreciate if you drove me home, Lieutenant Blake, I'm tired." He added, glancing at the older man. Blake gave a shrug, pulling out of the station parking lot. Norman turned his attention to the window, closing his eyes for a moment. No matter what situation he found himself in with Blake, there was always unspoken tension. It wasn't an issue to him, as the hook-up relationship that was held was perfectly fine to the ex-agent. The thought of even suggesting a serious relationship with Blake was sickening.

"When are you gonna get a car so I can stop driving your ass around?" Blake grumbled, but took the usual drive to the small, frankly sketchy apartment building Norman now lived at. "Y'know, I do have a nice place you can crash at." The lieutenant didn't sound extremely convincing or concerned, but it was still an offer. Norman shook his head, barely even giving the idea my further thought into his answer.

"Next week should be when this thankfully ends." He answered the first question, not even wanting to verbally explain his reasoning for not wanting to stay with Blake longer than the occasional nights. He felt a questioning gaze on him for a moment before the car stopped, signalling that Norman could finally be free of the slightly unwanted company and the tensed situation. The ex-agent didn't give a good-bye or thanks, quickly getting out of the car and getting his keys out, ready to just take a nap or wait till his usual bar opened.

It felt weird to be in a familiar yet unknown city. He swore he'd never come back yet here he was. It was almost amazing how much changed just from two words of resignation from his supervisor. It felt bitter to be working and giving advice to the police station that ignored him. Now his profiles were trusted more as a freelance investigater than it was when he was an offical FBI agent.
Oh how strange life was...