vii. ( 𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐞𝐬 )

Start from the beginning

john b opens it to find a pouch. he opens it to reveal some kind of canister. he screws the top off and pulls out a compass. "you're joking, right?" lorelai crosses her arms, upset. "oh, wow. yup. that's about right." pope stands back straight, throwing his arms up in the air. "good job, everybody. we found a compass." he says. jj sighs, noticing john b still staring at it. "dude, what? it's not worth anything." john b stared at it for a little longer before saying anything.

"this was my fathers..."

"JUST ADMIT IT." lorelai says. she and kiara were on her balcony while pope and jj were below them in the backyard playing around. john b was out, returning the oxygen tanks. "admit what?" kie asks. "that you like john b." lorelai says with a smile. kie groans in annoyance. "i do not! he's my friend." she denies.

"it looks like someone has been hanging around jj too much. deny, deny, deny, even though we all know it's true." lorelai takes a sip of her juice. "speaking of jj..." kiara began, switching the subject and causing the brunette to dramatically sigh. she turns her head to kie with an 'i'm waiting' look on her face.

"you totally have the hots for him." she finally says. lorelai scoffs. "do not! that is slander." she crosses her arms. "do too. i see the way you look at him." kiara says, sitting up. lorelai also sits up. "that's how i look at everybody. have you seen the way he looks at me? he's the one who's all over me, not the other way around." she grew defensive. "yes, actually. i have. it goes both ways."

"no it doesn't." lorelai shook her head. "besides, even if it did go both ways, i'm not talking to him right now." she admits. "what? why not?" kie asks, confused. "because. i don't want to." she lied. kiara didn't buy her words and decided to pry further. "yes you do. what's the real reason?"

lorelai sipped more of her juice, refusing to give an answer. once kiara noticed this, she decided to get her talking another way. "hey, jj!" kie calls out. the boys look up at her. "come here for a sec." she says. the blonde nods, heading inside through the back door. lorelai's eyes widen as she jumps up. "kiara! why did you do that?"

"i'm gonna tell him." she says. lorelai quickly checks behind them to make sure jj wasn't within earshot. "he kissed me." she whisper yelled. kie's mouth forms the shape of an o as she realized why she was avoiding him. jj opens the glass door behind them. "whats up?" he asks.

"uh... nothing." lorelai says with a nervous smile, her eyes flickering back and forth from jj to kie. kie gets up from her chair and moves past jj. "i'm gonna leave you two alone." she says, heading downstairs.

lorelai scoffed as kiara left. she turned back to jj, who was now sitting in kie's spot. "what was that all about?" he asks. she turned away from him, rolling her eyes and not speaking. "what did i do?" he asks, only for her to not answer again. he waves a hand in front of his face. "hello?" he says, dragging on the o.

lorelai swats his hand out of her face. "is this about the kiss? because if it is then i thought you liked it." he says. lorelai let out a huff. "i thought we agreed to not talk about this." she says. "we did, but i didn't know that included not talking at all."

"it's not gonna happen, jj." she says to him, reluctantly facing him again. "why not?" he asks, tilting his head. "no pogue on pogue macking, remember?" she reminds him. "but you aren't even a pogue, you just hang out with us. i mean look at this place, it's not very pogue-like." he says, referring to her house that they were at.

"all i know is that im definitely not a kook. it still has to apply to me, just like the way it applies to kie." she says, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "no it doesn't. plus, who cares?" he shrugged. "i care, jj! it's a rule." she says, slightly raising her voice.

"rules are meant to be broken."

her eyebrows furrow. "what are you even talking about? no they aren't." she says. "yes they are. they wouldn't even be a thing if people didn't break them in the first place." he points out to the girl. she paused for a moment, fighting back a smile. of course, she loses and ends up smiling anyway. "you're an idiot."

"yeah, but i'm your idiot." he says as he leaned into her, returning the smile. he stops once their faces are only inches apart. lorelai gave him a small peck on the lips. "that's the last time." she says, her smile widening. "one more." he says, as she dodges his attempts to kiss her again.

"no." she giggled, pushing his face away with her hand. "come on." he begged, chuckling. pope and kiara watched them from the backyard. pope looks over at kie's face, then back to lorelai and jj. "well, that was easy." kie says. pope shrugged.

"i guess so."

🍒, maybankz—
sorry if there's any spelling mistakes

published— june 5, 2020
edited— (?)
word count— 1550 words