Chapter Sixteen

'The one and only.'

'What on earth are you doing here?'

'The whole town is talking dear Annabelle. I supposed you were living under tyranny. A shoulder to lean on is in need.'

'It is more than in need Lord Markham. I wish to return home. This is not my home,' she looked at the stone building that simply houses her. Celia and George were lazily walking in the fields. She was holding onto him for dear life and whispering in his ear. Annabelle looked away unable to bear the sight. 'Tell me Markham what truly brings you here?'

'You were always smarter than I Anna.'

She flinched at the name. 'And forever I will be. Come let us go inside, the sun is scorching this afternoon and you can imagine it does not do well for my tainted skin.'

She led Lord Markham to the doors, George's eyes piercing her back. He, all of a sudden, was no longer interested in what Celia had to say. She was whispering something in his ear, her voice had become sickening to him. He pushed her away gently.

'Why George, what was that for?'

'I am no longer interested in going into town. I have business matters to attend to, they require my immediate attention.'

'And just now when that tramp of a wife of yours brings her lover into your home.'

'You are here Celia, I see no reason why she should not warrant me the same.' With that he left her in garden.

'Now Lord Markham, sit, tell me what brings you here?' they were sitting on the balcony in her chambers. The view was truly beautiful and she found comfort in it.

'I heard Sir Ashton had returned.'

'Yes,' she placed her teacup back on the table. 'He came back hoping he and I would finish what we started before Angelo.' It was the first time she had let his name fall from her lips and guilt did not follow after. Nor did the pain. Instead an image of George and Celia flashed across his mind.

'And could you not?' he searched her face. Annabelle was good at hiding her emotions and even better at not feeling them at all.

'No, and you know very well why.'

'Have you ever thought perhaps you have made a mistake. What if Ashton didn't kill his brother.'

'He helped in a capacity. I heard the reports, a bullet wound and Sir Ashton was found with a gun. I am no fool. I know he had help. One day, the truth will come out and whoever is responsible for my misery will pay.'

'Forgiveness is not an option.'

'Forgiveness Lord Markham is not mine to give, it is Angelo who could forgive, but as you can see, he is no longer here.'

The room went silent.

George listened in from partly open door. Lord Markham he recalled was the man Annabelle had struck when he first called upon their home. He was under the impression the two were not on speaking terms.

Celia's voice rang through the corridors calling for him. He regretted bringing her into his home. She had stayed with them for a few days and he hadn't touched her. His conscience could not bring himself to betray his wife. As much as she tried to lure him with her ways George had stayed faithful. This is a fact he did not expect his wife to believe.

'George, there you are,' he closed his eyes a moment for he knew what she was about to propose. Before she could, Annabelle appeared at the door with Lord Markham behind her his hand firmly placed on the small of her back.