⋆◦★◦⋆

the surgery started and derek shepherd opened the door and came into the o.r.

"what's her status?" he asked.

"mom's heart rate and, uh, b.p. has been fluctuating, but she's ready for you." lydia told derek while she was working on the baby.

"all right, let's prep her for a craniotomy." derek said.

"apgar's only 4. we need to get to the nicu now." arizona said.

⋆◦★◦⋆

the three surgeons made it to the nicu in time. alex was checking out the baby and arizona had just put a drain in.

"all right, drain's in a good position." arizona said.

"yeah, she's breathing over the vent." said alex.

"maybe we should consider extubating her?"

"yeah, but watch for apneic episodes, and keep an eye out for her c.b.c. there's still too much blood draining from her head." arizona said. "what time is it, karev?"

"uh, half past 8:00." he answered looking at his watch.

"half past 8:00. i've already been awake for 5 hours, and my day hasn't even started." arizona said, sighing.

"same, rough way to start your morning." lydia said.

"a stroke before you're even born-rough way to start a life." alex said.

"yeah."

⋆◦★◦⋆

"hey i brought you some coffee." callie said rounding the corner to meet arizona and lydia. she noticed both the robbins sisters already had a coffee in their hands. "oh, you already have one."

"oh, no. i want your coffee. i need your coffee." arizona said reaching out for callie's extra coffee.

owen walked up to the girls and started talking about cristina. "okay, when you see cristina, she is gonna be mad. she's gonna be mad at me for not paging her in here last night, possibly mad at you for not waking her up either. now i am handling this. do not engage her. do not provoke her. simply ignore, her all right?"

"oh, that's your plan-ignore the scalpel-hungry animal?" callie asked him.

"yep, until i come up with something better." he said.

the residents all filed onto the peds floor as they waited for arizona to start talking. lydia and her sister both threw out their finished coffee's and lydia went to stand next to cristina.

"okay, i know this is the first time on a peds rotation with me for for some of you. not for others. but i wanted you to understand that i run my peds unit a little differently than you may be used to. this is not general surgery in miniature. these are the tiny humans. these are children. they believe in magic. they play pretend. there is fairy dust in their i.v. bags. they hope and they cross their fingers and they make wishes and that makes them more resilient than adults. they recover faster, survive worse. they believe. in peds we have miracles and magic. in peds, anything is possible." arizona gave her big peds speech and lydia gave a wide smile.