Chapter 1- Rosewood.

I must not injure myself.
I must not-
Welllll... I haven't been hurt in weeks, not even a single scratch. So, what's the use of worrying about it so much, anyway?

The mantra that my brothers have drilled since my youth starts fading away as I focus on keeping my feet in rhythm as they tap lightly on the forest floor. I escaped the palace for a reason, using my extensive knowledge of the guards' posts and routes that I've memorized for nearly a decade. Even still, it was not easy. It never is when it comes to evading my siblings. I'm their "princess" after all.

I scoff at the term. A princess. Sure.

I begin to hum quietly as my feet become even more determined to take me to my destination. Heading into town usually takes a quick twenty minutes when riding on horse or in coach, double that if by foot. Right now, though, I'm carving my way through the trees, staying off the main road in order to not be seen by any who might be following me. Looking up at the dark moonless sky, I smirk. My darling siblings must think I'm asleep right now, tucked away in my room.

The forest morphed into a clearing, full of tall grass that will undoubtedly scratch at my boots. A few yards away I noticed the entrance to the village, which was relatively busy for a late night. I pop my navy blue hood over my head, shielding the sides of my face and my shoulder length brunette curls. I tuck a lose strand of hair behind my right ear, then stretch a matching navy veil over my mouth and nose.

It's go time.

I shrink behind a passing merchant's cart in order to pass through the gates unseen. Soldiers standing near the brick archway seem unfazed, chatting away. Good thing, I think, as most of them would immediately recognize my face, given my history in town and the palace. Kicking up rapidly at the dirt path, I see the wooden stand I came this way for. "EXOTIC TEXTILES" is written in streaky white paint on a wooden overhand banner. I snuck out of the palace just for this. Jace, the tailor's apprentice, notices my sharp arrival, and lifts up his head from his seated position in the corner of the small shop.

"Zee! It's been a few, hasn't it?" He charms with a smile, looking up at me through his black hair with blue eyes. I nod my head with a polite smile, as I finger some of the sample fabrics that are sprawled across the display stand. An emerald silk, a peach cotton weave. Hidden underneath the pile was a red fiber cloth, delicately embroidered with golden petals.

"Beautiful", I mumbled through my still veiled mouth.

"It is," He responds, a dazed smile appearing, with a tinge of pink appearing on his cheeks, as he moved his eyes to mine.

"Anyways, Jay, you know what I'm here for, right?" I question matter of factly. As much as I'd love to stay and chat with my longtime friend, I didn't want to risk being gone from the palace for too long.

"Of course," he responds, while going to rummage through a small cabinet in the back of the shop. "Your order, Zee."

My eyes widen and a sly smile appears on my lips. Finally. Finally, it's mine. He holds a starch black fabric hanging from his forearms, over laid with a delicate lace, resembling the petals of roses. Yes, it was beautiful, but that's not why I desired this particular cloth.

"Rosewood fibers. Nearly impenetrable, even for you, Zee."

"We'll see about that. I'm sure I'll give this fabric a run for it's money." It's true- this rare fabric from an alcove in Tanbarun is created with such strong fibers and twine, so much so that the sharpest blade may leave only a scratch in the dye. As a seamstress, and a clumsy warrior, this fabric is my dream. To be able to one day craft a light weight ensemble with the durability of steel. That's why I made my way from the castle, and at no low cost, either.

I exchange twelve gold pieces for three yards of the rosewood textile, gingerly taking the piece off of Jace's arms. I must not get injured. I laugh inside as I examine the cloth. With this badass attire, no way I will. Maybe, finally, my brothers will allow me to have peace.

"Thank you, Jay, but it seems like its about my bedtime." I roll my eyes, wishing that I'd be able to freely join the crowded and lively bustle of the marketplace during late hours. With a curt nod, I turn around to head away from town, cloth in hand and a prideful expression on my face.

I barely hear Jace's last words to me,

"Stay safe, my princess."