Short Story

Arashi and Ritsu were in the kitchen. They tried to come up with something to draw customers' attention.

"What if you wrote down how you make your cupcakes? And then, maybe put the amount you use in little bowls?"

RItsu sighed, "It's just the colors that throws people off."

Arashi paused, but replied, "I don't know of anything that can undo what you put in it, but there's probably some sort of food coloring that can help."

"Don't you think changing my cupcakes is a lost cause by now? Besides, there are a lot of other ways to change what the cafe has."

"Okay, I guess we can try something different."

Ritsu said, a little nervously, "We may be able to do a theme, ya know. Get new uniforms, change the place up for a month."

"I can't be sure there are funds for it, but we can make a start."

The next day, they had a meeting before opening time.

"Hi hi! What are you two up to?" Leo asked. He sat down and put his arms on the table.

"I wanted to try something else for the cafe," Ritsu said.

Izumi and Tsukasa, who had set up a game of chess before Leo arrived, looked up from their game.

"Really?" They asked in unison.

"Yeah, so a theme of some sort."

"Sure," Izumi said. "I have an idea."

"But the game. . .," Tsukasa said, before standing up. "Okay, I'll put this away. Izumi can say whatever it is he's referring to."

"We could have wings. I was thinking of ones like a butterfly."

"Like insects or can Ritsu have bat wings?" Leo asked, jotting it down. "I don't mind, so I'll leave that up to you."

"I'm sure we could make them each our own if we did butterflies," Arashi added.

Tsukasa finished up with the chess pieces. "Sounds like a plan. We can do it this weekend. How about it?"

Ritsu smiled when the cafe's door opened at that moment. "This looks like a cheesy plot device, but we have a customer."

That monday, they each had brighter smiles in the hope that it'll work out well.

"Eh, are you ready?" Leo asked, looking out the window. "It seems like most of the morning regulars are lined up outside."

"Hold on, I'm getting the coffee ready," Arashi replied.

Ritsu sat his usual cupcakes up. He joined Leo, and saw how some of the people in line were waving at them.

"Does this make you happy?" Leo asked.

"You bet it."

"Good, because you've been down lately."

"Oh?" Ritsu raised his eyebrows.

"I have to say, your cupcakes are weird, but-"

"Hey, we're both a little weird."

"True, true."