A Tuscan Summer Romance

Start from the beginning

During the next few weeks, Margherita spent most of her time reading in the garden. In the evenings she watched the sunset from a bench in the town's main square. She desired to walk across the open fields that surrounded the town, but Matilde strictly warned her that she needed to be close to a house with a cellar at any time, due to the risk of bombing raids.

Since the beginning of June, Monteriggioni had been liberated by the American army. The town was filled with young American soldiers that hung around in the main squares, especially attracting the attention of the local girls.

It was a mid-August evening, Margherita was sitting on the town bench, waiting for the sun to set, when a young soldier sat down next to her. Margherita had seen him before. With his golden hair, green eyes and muscular body he was undoubtably a strikingly handsome young man. Sitting there silently and staring at the horizon, he reminded her of Giacomo. The sun had halfway disappeared when the soldier turned to Margherita and started saying something in Italian. She smiled and reassured him that she spoke English. He seemed relieved and continued: "It is rare that someone speaks English around here." Margherita replied, "I used to spend every summer on Long Island with my family". Pleasantly surprised, he uttered, "My father comes from Long Island". Then again silence reigned between them. Margherita somehow felt comfortable in this young man's presence. The sun had vanished leaving Margherita and the American soldier in the darkness under a full moon. Just then the young man broke the silence and introduced himself, "I'm Andrew by the way," his eyes shimmered. "I'm sorry if I bothered you this evening. It's just..." Andrew stopped for a second and then continued "I always see you watching the sunset from this bench. You look out onto the horizon and dive into your thoughts, forgetting about everything around you. It's fascinating to watch you." Margherita was speechless. Never had anyone, except for Giacomo, been able to see through her like Andrew did. She replied timidly, "I've had a lot on my mind lately. Looking out onto the hills, helps me put my worries into perspective. It gives me a sense of relief." Without even realizing it, Margherita had opened herself up to someone, something she had hardly ever done before. Andrew looked at her and said, "Nature offers refuge to the human soul." Laughing he added, "I did not just make that up, I've just read too many Romantics." Margherita had to laugh. Andrew looked at her again and said, "Mysterious and beautiful, you sure are one of a kind". Margherita blushed. She realized it was late and said, "I'm sorry but I should be heading home." Before she could turn around, Andrew stopped her and gently asked, "May I walk you home?". Margherita agreed and felt a light beating in her chest.

Chapter 3

Revival

That night Margherita came home just before dawn. She and Andrew took forever to get to Matilde's house as they were so immersed in their conversation. They talked for hours about their passions and fears. Andrew told her all about himself and his family. Before the war, he was a student at Princeton aspiring to become a writer. His family lived in New York City and owned one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the nation. Just like Margherita, he did not have a great relationship with his parents. Andrew occasionally teased her, making her laugh in a way that she hadn't for a long time. When Margherita went to bed, she felt reborn. She stayed awake for a long time, still feeling the gentle hand Andrew had placed on her cheek saying, "Good night Margherita."

The next morning, Matilde was already in the garden drinking her coffee and reading the newspaper, when Margherita showed up. Matilde smiled at her niece in an observing way and asked, "Well you came home late last night. Did you meet someone?". Margherita felt reluctant to tell her what had really happened, so she lied, "The night was so beautiful that I completely lost track of time. I'm sorry auntie." Grinning and looking back into her newspaper Matilde replied, "I see". It was obvious that she did not believe her. As Margherita wanted to head up to her room again, Matilde stopped her calling, "Lorella put one of my old ball gowns into your closet, please try it on". Confused, Margherita replied, "That is very kind, but I already have ball gowns back at home". Matilde said, "I know dear, but you are going to need one tonight. My friend Marion Bovinelli called this morning inviting you to her daughter's birthday ball." Margherita hesitated, "Thank you auntie but I don't really feel like..." Matilde interrupts her, "Nonsense, of course you're going. I heard that some of those handsome American soldiers will be there tonight. This might be a good occasion for you to meet a young fellow." Margherita's heart started beating incessantly as she realized that Andrew would probably be there. She ran upstairs and tried on the dress. It was a golden silk gown with shiny beads embroidered on the sides. It was stunning. "You look divine, the boys are going to fawn over you," said Matilde coming into Margherita's room.