°•seventeen•°

Start from the beginning

"I know. I just wanted this place to be good," he sighs, pulling at his hair with one hand, the other pulling me closer.

"In a way," I begin, "It kind of is."

I look at his chest instead of his eyes. I could feel the blush rising and was thankful for the dimly lit room. The only light source being the lamp Brian used to read.

I couldn't avoid his gaze for long as his hand made its way under my cheek and forcing me softly to look up.

"It is. In its own way. Not because of this place though. You made it good for me," he whispers as though someone else would here.

All the words were stuck in my throat as his face inches towards mine.

I always thought my first kiss would be with a certain person.

Never did I imagine it to be someone like Brian. And definitely never under the circumstances it was in.

But, as Brian's lips met mine, I didn't care.

His lips were softer than I expected. Mine were slightly chapped from the cool weather approaching. Neither of us cared, though as I leaned up to deepen the kiss. I could hear my heart so loudly in my ears, I was afraid he'd hear as well. I wondered if his was doing the same. As I placed my hand on his chest to get closer, I could feel that it was indeed racing as fast as mine.

My first kiss was perfect. I dreaded having to let this moment go.

To let him go.

But, there was still a man named Glenn somewhere in this camp and I had to know the truth.

And if I had to let go of Brian to find them.. I'd just have to live with it.

--

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Kate asks for the eleventh time.

"Peanut butter on chocolate is a good idea. This is just insane and will more than likely kill me," I say putting my gun in my back shorts.

"Thank for the comforting words," she scoffs.

"I'll be fine Katie," I roll my eyes before stopping suddenly, "Unless I get caught of course."

"Jade!" She groans, frustrated and slaps my arm. I chuckle and walk to the door.

"If I'm not back in an hour then you know I was busted," I tell her, more serious now.

"What do I do if that happens?" She worriedly asks.

"Ask Shumpert first, then Martinez, then Merle. If all else fails, ask the Governor," I name the list.

"Okay, then what?" She asks.

"Pray I'm not dead."

--

Vents are a lot smaller than the movies make them out to be. Usually in a cliché movie, the hero can slide easily through the vents of a building. I'm not calling myself a hero and sure as hell not living in a James Bond movie but they really could've put a disclosure saying 'vents are smaller than they appear'.

"Son of a bitch," I mutter to myself, pulling through the corner and finally making it to a closed cap.

Peeking through, my eyesight can only make out a table and chair legs. I take the screwdriver from my bag that I used to carry multiple items.

I get halfway there on the second bolt when someone speaks up.

"Is someone there?" The voice asks, a familiar sound to it and my breath catches in my throat.

"Hello?" They ask when I don't answer, "Where are you?"

"What's your name?" I ask ignoring their question, my voice comes out hoarse and dry.

"I'm Glenn. Who are y-" the person is cut off when the door opens.

The immediate growling of a lurker causes me to cover my mouth to avoid screaming.

"Alrighty!" Merle exclaims, my eyes widen and my heart nearly stops.

"I want you to imagine how I felt fighting my way off that roof! One hand, losing blood," Merle says, footsteps come into view and I notice it's the lurker first then followed by Merle.

"Walkers trooping down on me every step of the way!" I take advantage of Merle screaming and the lurker growling to continue unscrewing the bolts as fast and quiet as possible.

Second screw out

"Last chance! Where's your group?" Merle asks.

Third screw out

When Glenn doesn't answer, Merle speaks up again and begins backing up, "Alright suit yourself!"

"You're a pretty good snack for this fella! But you know what they say, he's gonna be hungry again in an hour!" Merle screams, now at the doorway I presume.

There's a click, the biter suddenly grows louder, and Merle screams to it, "Go!"

The door slams and the lurker is now heading full speed to the chair.

My hands shake too much to continue on the last bolt. My adrenaline pumps so hard that my heartbeat echoes in my ears. Much like last night but this time it's in fear. In a minute of fast decision making, my only choice that comes to mind is what I do before I confirm it to myself.

I clench my fist and punch the vent three times so it flies off. The sting is immediate and I know my knuckles are bleeding but I ignore it. I pull myself out of the vent to see my biggest fear come to life. Glenn cornered by the walker. I stumble to my feet, and rush over to the lurker's back, stabbing it in the head from behind. I twist it for extra measure and yank it out. The walker falls to the floor when Glenn shoves it off him and we finally make eye contact.

"Jade," he whispers, his bloodied, swollen eye still widening in shock.

"Glenn," I pant, unable to breathe.

"You're alive," He smiles with a choked out sob.

I can't hold my own cries out either as he pulls me into his arms, squeezing me tightly in a hug and I can only do the same.

The old feeling of comfort, safety, and love blows through my chest and I'm finally home.

--

❤❤