Chapter One

Chapter 1

~

                Moonkit stretched his silver muzzle wide in a yawn before looking around at his surroundings. All of the other kits and their mothers were still fast asleep. The mischievous kit snuck out of the nursery as quietly as he could on his little paws. As soon as he made it out he raced away excitedly, thinking he was the only one awake. His tail drooped when he saw a group of warriors walking through the camp. Then he noticed that they were all around the deputy, waiting to be chosen to go on a patrol. The black-and-silver tabby kit sped toward the group, eagerness gleaming in his blue eyes.

                “Can I go on a patrol Wolfheart!?” Moonkit begged the gray she-cat.

                The deputy paused what she was doing to gaze down at him affectionately, “Sorry Moonkit, but you still have a moon to wait before you are an apprentice, and kits can’t leave without their mothers.”

                Moonkit instantly hung his head in disappointment and began dragging his paws-made heavy by his sadness-through the dirt on his way back to the nursery. Then he heard the medicine cat apprentice calling to him.

                “Hey, Moonkit!”

                Moonkit instantly perked up and answered happily, “What is it Frostfang? Do you need help collecting herbs?”

                “Actually,” the white tom began as he padded closer, “I wanted to know why you were out of the nursery so early. It’s barely dawn!” Before the kit could reply the older cat asked, “Do you want to learn a battle move?”

                Moonkit’s jaw dropped as he said, “Really? But none of the other kits have been trained!”

                “So you’ll be the first,” Frostfang agreed.

                “So what do I do?” Moonkit asked the medicine cat, not hesitating for a moment as he went down into his best crouch.

                Frostfang lowered himself as well before answering, “Try to attack my tummy.”

                The eager kit wiggled his hindquarters as he prepared to spring at the medicine cat. He leaped directly at Frostfang’s exposed stomach, but he easily dodged and at the last second, Moonkit realized Frostfang had grabbed him by the scruff of his neck. They began to spin and Moonkit found himself giggling uncontrollably as the world whipped past too fast for the little kit to keep up. He soon noticed that he was on the ground again, though everything around him continued to circle.

                “The Windclan warrior got me,” Moonkit said jokingly as he went limp.

                “Grr,” Frostfang said as he, too, began laughing.

                “Frostfang!” The medicine cat, Flamefur, called to his apprentice.

                Frostfang began moving but yelled over his shoulder, “Sorry, see you later Moonkit!”

                Moonkit smiled back. He was disappointed to see the cat go after the fun they’d had, but he was content for the time being. The kit started walking towards the nursery, when he saw his littermates; Cloudkit, Shadekit, Mudkit, and Piranhakit, stream from the bramble den that he was headed. They began to race each other to the fresh-kill pile, but Moonkit was determined to win, even if he hadn’t been there for the start of the race. With a flying leap, he knocked a large blackbird off the top and both he and the bird toppled onto the four other kits. Feathers flew in all directions as they wrestled each other for it.