prelude

"But now, we hardly even speak at all.

                        looking back, how did we get away?"

- When We Were Young by The Summer Set

----

                The sharp, winter wind whipped at his face as he attempted to shove his hands even further         into the pockets of his coat. A cigerette dangled precariously from his lips as another call from his girlfriend caused his phone to vibrate erratically against his thigh.

        He didn't want to talk to her.

        He didn't want to talk to his band mates.

        He just wanted to walk and think and be alone for once since leaving home 6 years ago.

        He didn't regret leaving home when he did, there was just a lot of things which he wished that someone had told him. Things that he would have done differently if he'd had the hindsight to know these things.

        Like for example, the fact that it is possible to maintain a relationship when one person is travelling around the country for nine months of the year.

        But of course, nobody had told him that. They had told him that he'd have his pick of the girls, that there would be no time for calls home or dates or anything like that.

        What would any other eighteen year old boy with a girlfriend do in that situation?

                he was only a kid.

        He didn't know what he was supposed to do, and he was supposed to have the rest of his life to figure it out. All of his dreams were finally coming true and he couldn't just throw that away.'

                right?

        His dreams had come true in ways that he could never have imagined, and he had gotten to do it with the same four best friends that he'd done everything with in high school, what more could he want?

                                        her.

He regretted how he had handled things between them. And there wasn't a single day that had gone by since he left, that he didn't wish he could do it over.

                ----

    "Ava?"