Chapter 5

By the time the night had fully taken affect, Louis and myself managed to build a make-shift fort for the five of us (as well as Violet and the baby).

        The walls were composed of branches from the forest and solid scraps from the ruined plane. We found blankets, food, and other materials in the luggage bags of the people that lost their lives on flight 104. The five of us said a prayer for those that passed, as well as for the comfort of their families.

        Zayn managed to find his own luggage bag and upon pulling his iPod out of it, he put his iTunes play-list on shuffle. We all tried to sing, but Zayn said it hurt too much and we stopped.

        I was concerned about Niall, but I tried my best to put the worries aside. A blanket was wrapped around the nub of his left limb, and it scared me to even think about the fact that he lost half of his leg.

        I watched as Zayn pulled a pack of cigarettes and a lighter out of his backpack and lit one of the white sticks.

        "Cigarette smoke is bad for the baby," Harry commented, talking as if his wife in his arms was still alive and pregnant. A tear rolled down his cheek, and Zayn looked at him for a second before putting out the mini torch and bursting into tears.

        "Sorry mate," Zayn cried and I rested a hand on his back.

        "It's okay," Harry responded with trembling lips. "I didn't mean to make you sad."

        Harry then layed Violet down beside him before crawling over to Zayn and hugging him.

        "They're really gone. My two girls are gone." 

        The words came out in crumbles as Harry sobbed. All of our eyes were on the curly-haired boy when he finally pulled away from Zayn.

        Louis was the one to ask the question that was on all of our minds.

        "It was a baby girl?"

        There was way too much sadness in such a small space. It felt as if all of the despair in the entire world was trapped inside one room, and the five of us had to endure the pain of seven billion people.

        "Yes, Violet and I planned on telling you all after the show. We found out a week ago."

        "Congratulations," Niall squeaked, and I didn't know if that was the right word choice, but the rest of us followed Niall with a "Congratulations" as well.  

        Harry gave us a cheeky grin and said thank you as tears rolled down his face. I knew that he was pretending, just for a second, that he and Violet had just told us the wonderful news behind the stage at our last concert, and that the saltwater droplets seeping into his mouth were happy ones.

        "Tomorrow," he said, and I knew that he meant he would say goodbye to Violet and the baby for good tomorrow.

        We went to bed soon after that.