2: The Flick of a Switch

"I stood there, trying to listen to every word coming out of his mouth, I tried to ignore him, but I couldn't help but squirm in my seat when the thought of how much he had changed came into my mind."  

"How has he changed?" Nerva and I sit in the stairwell of the apartment complex, both enjoying the company of each other as we release our problems through the empty flights of stairs, the fading echos of our voices travelling up and up.

"I don't know. He seems... more refined. Tamed. Cold." 

"Come on Rey, the great Kylo Ren has always been cold and inviolate. That's how everyone knows him." We sit in silence for a while. Maybe she's right. The facade everyone thinks he creates isn't the facade. That warm, gentle Kylo- no Ben is the facade. Ben is just an illusion. Ben is gone. Nerva gives me a hand to stand up.

"Go wash up Rey, you've had a long day and obviously need to think some things over still."

"See you tomorrow Nerva."

"Anyway, that is all you two need to organise but don't fret! You have plenty of time and all you need right at your fingertips. You will begin tomorrow. Very well be at the House by ten-thirty sharp tomorrow. Oh and Rey... Ben will escort you to where you need to go, you'll get lost in such a big place otherwise!"

Recounting Leias words in my head, I brush them to the side and sink down into the steamy bath, allowing my muscles to relax after a tedious day. Why does he have to escort me? It's even worse! At least whilst I'm working, I can pretend to concentrate so he doesn't have to talk to me. But then again I'm not a spoiled child, at last, I can finally feel involved in all of this. Gathering my things together for tomorrow, I get into bed. 

"I look forward to the pleasure of working with you tomorrow Rey." Ugh, I need to get that monstrous voice out of my head. Enough, I'll read the schedule on my way to the House tomorrow.

Sleep pulls at me as I succumb my restless movements and thoughts to stillness.

.

.

.

Mindlessly, I turn to leave the dining table to prepare for Rey's arrival. If it wasn't for my mother's request, and the pressure she's under I wouldn't be doing this but despite circumstances, it doesn't to the least excite me to work with her. ten-twenty-five. I go down to greet her at the entrance. I stand by the geometrical marble pillars, surrounding the large entrance to the house, keeping myself entertained with force lifting the flower decorations nearby. ten-thirty, still no sign of Rey. I wait a few minutes more before my patience gets the best of me, and I storm back up to my office. The morning light blazes into my office as I close the door.

"Hello, Ben." 

I jump into a fighting stance force freezing my opponent until a wave hits right back at me and I am thrown into the closed door behind me. A shrilly burst of laughter echoes through the office.

"Seriously Ren? Is that the best you can do? Seems your out of practice." Recovering from the violent force wave. I attempt to regain my balance as my eyes lock onto the familiar almond eyes. My anger gets the best of me. 

"I can't believe you! Where were you at ten thirty, I waited for ten fucking minutes!" Her amused expression turns into a frown as she wanders to lean against the decorated window. 

"As if I don't know where to go. I've been here countless times with Reserva, she told me where to go. And as for you 'ten fucking minutes,' you should learn to be more patient because I was waiting ten minutes for you. Now sit down and let's get this over and done with." 

I sit down opposite her at my desk and pull out the first batch of security files for stage one. 

"These are your's do what you like with them but don't go around spilling information to anyone at a glance. There are people her-"

"Yes, I know how to keep confidential information safe, Ren. It's literally what the resistance has to do on a daily basis." She rolls her eyes at me as she reaches to take the files. Intervening, I place my hand on top of hers.

She hesitates instinctively.

"Look, don't call me Ren. You know Ben is fine."

"I will call you what I wish. But isn't that what you go by with only your close circle? I don't think people who have been succumbing to you manipulation go under that section." 

She takes the files and turns to leave, not saying another word. But I push the door closed again, sending another wave-making her stumble.

"Rey, hold on." I strengthen my voice. She turns to face me, only silence sits still between us. "We need to do this together. This won't make it any easier."

"Well, you're the one that created this! I will do this in my own company with or without your approval and that is that. This makes you no superior. Like you said we equal so don't think about using your position which you got thanks to me, to better me in this argument." 

Yet again she tries to leave, but senses my presence too soon and pins me against the bookshelf behind my desk before I can freeze her in her tracks. 

"That's it, I have had it." Slam! her hand thumps a little too close to my left ear as a small finger points right at my face. She's so close, too close. Her bright red cheeks and flaming eyes, ever so wild and enthralling. I'm intrigued.

"Now. Look. Here. Don't think I'm going to crawl back to you like that idiotic girl in the forest. Like... the fool I was. So if you so much as to try and talk to me like that again or even dare to look me in the eye with those meticulous brown eyes, you better dig yourself a grave because it will be occupied by morning."

She lingers away for the last time, her force still keeping me in a frozen hold until her white dress swishes through the door and she is gone. Her screams echo through the hallways until they fade into silence.

I finish my papers for the day as lean back into my chair, my eyes flicker to the window by my desk where a small lean figure once stood earlier on. I can see the apartment building from my window. A small light glimmers on in one of the small circular windows, and just like that very same flick of a switch, the string tugs at me once again. Pulling me to her. And as the sun goes beyond the horizon, I feel her energy once more.

.

.

.

Once I got back, all I could do was run to my bed and scream into a pillow. Unconsciously my mind let me fall into a tiring sleep until a large hand rested on my shoulder. Waking up I see the friendly round face of a friend.

"Finn! Its been too long." I swing my arms around him as I sit myself up on the bed. Gazing up, I see a tired Nerva standing in the door frame. We all go into the living room where Finn updates me about the resistance's recent activity and how he's been doing with the news about the Festival.

"We need you back on the falcon Rey. Chewie misses you so, and you're one of our best flyers." 

"I know, I know, but Leia wants me here. Unfortunately, I'm stuck doing security checks for the festival with Ren."

"Seriously! Ren? Why would Leia do that to you?" I shrug my shoulders in dismissal. 

After a nice afternoon talking, I settle down to complete some more security files once Finn and Nerva go back to their places. As I finish my work I watch as the sun goes down, slowly but surely along the horizon. I neatly stack the files into the cabinet next to my desk and turn to flick on the light switch in my room. And just like that very same flick of a switch, the string tugs at me once again. The abrupt tug of the force jolts my spine upwards, unsettling my mind enough for me to have to sit down. No, not now. Why now? 

"How long has it been? How strange it is for the force to connect us now..."