Chapter Two

Alan van Sprang as the Dark King

***

My heart stopped.

My mother's heart stopped.

I'm pretty sure my father's heart had stopped.

But the General's started beating faster with sadistic excitement.

"So, what do we have here?" He said, casually wiping his knife on his sleeve.

"A bunker, dipshit. What else?" said Mum. Always a joker.

Even at the most inappropriate times.
He growled. She smiled. He raised his dagger. She pulled out her own. They looked at each other.

"I'm going to enjoy this." He said. He moved forward, arm out, the dagger going right towards her heart. She danced out of the way, laughing.

"Really, General? That's it? I'm guessing the rumours are true. You did sell your daughter to the king for your position." my mother said, taunting him.

"You bit-"

"No foul language in my house!" screeched Mum. She sliced at him, slashing his fighting-arm open. He roared, switching to his other arm and stabbed at her, going in for the kill. She ducked his outstretched limb and tripped him up.

"Run, my darling. I'll catch up with you there, once I'm finished with him." she gestured her head to the man clutching his bleeding arm that had taken the brunt of his fall. She tried to say it calmly, but I could hear the panic in her voice. I didn't have to be told twice. I was wise enough to follow her orders.

"Oh no you don't!" howled Chanselor, going for me now.

"GO!" She cried as she dived at him. He whirled round, neatly sliding the knife through the air towards her. He nicked her and then pushed her to the ground. The blood began mixing with the blood of the other two men's that was already there.

I turned and fled out the now clear trapdoor, but he was hot on my heels. I could hear his breath whispering down my neck. I made it to the edge of the woods before he got his hands on me. He pulled me close and said quietly into my ear, "Gotcha." I gulped. I then swiftly turned and kneed him in the balls. He blew out a breath, his face turning redder by the second. Taking a second to enjoy my handy work, I then entered the woods' eerie darkness and headed for the portal to the human realm my dad had made. Y'know, just in case. I jumped through and tumbled into the abyss, screaming from fear, for my father, for my mother, and in a way, for my life.