𝟬𝟬 - 𝗘𝗻𝗱 𝗢𝗳 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗪𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱 𝗔𝘀 𝗛𝗲 𝗞𝗻𝗲𝘄 𝗜𝘁

SHANE JOSEPH GRAY KNEW THE EXACT MOMENT HIS LIFE WAS CHANGED FOREVER

SHANE JOSEPH GRAY KNEW THE EXACT MOMENT HIS LIFE WAS CHANGED FOREVER. The moment that the semi lost control hitting two other cars that careened into the van, no one in that van would ever be the same again. All Shane remembered of the accident was a flash of light as the headlights of the other cars hit his face and his older brother, Jason Kevin Gray shielded him and their baby brother, Nate Nicholas Gray from the impact. Shane woke up in the hospital, asking about his family and was told that his parents were dead, his older brother had no memory of who he and their baby brother were. Shane and Nate had escaped with minor injuries and sadly, Nate was too young to remember any of this.

Now in a room with his brothers who were fast asleep, Shane heard someone talking outside the door and climbed off the bed to hear them better. "The boys will be too young to ever remember anything," a man replied.

"The middle brother may remember something," a woman stated.

"Hopefully not. With the youngest not remembering anything due to his age and the oldest losing his memory, it'd be best if he didn't remember either." The man said.

"How would forgetting your family be best?" The woman said in a voice that told she didn't agree.

"The three boys are going to be split up and placed in foster care homes. Hopefully they'll all be adopted." The man informed.

Shane frowned; he and his brothers weren't going to be together? Jason didn't remember him or Nate? He walked over to his older brother who had a bunch of machines hooked up to him.

"Jason, I know you're sleeping, but I wanna say I love you. I'll find you and Nate one day. I promise." Shane said, kissing his brother's forehead before singing the song their father used to sing before they went to bed.

Goodnight my angel
Time to close your eyes
And save these questions for another day
I think I know what you've been
Asking me
I know you know what
I've been trying to say

I promised I would never leave you
And you should always know
Wherever you may go
No matter where you are
I will never be far away

He climbed off the bed then pulled a chair up to Nate's crib and climbed up so he could see his baby brother. "I love you, Nate. Just like I promised Jason, I'll find you guys again and then, they'll never be able to take us away again." Shane told his baby brother, leaning over to kiss him on the forehead.

Nate then opened his eyes and stared at his brother. He frowned as if he was able to understand that they weren't going to be together and began to fuss and Shane quickly sung the next part of the lullaby to calm him down.

Goodnight my angel
Now it's time for sleep
And still so many things I want to say
Remember all the songs you sang for me
When we went sailing on an emerald bay

And like a boat out on the ocean
I'm rocking you to sleep
The water's dark and deep
Inside this ancient heart
You'll always be a part of me

Nate's fussing stopped and the baby boy slipped back off to sleep. Shane smiled at his brother and put his little hand on Nate's forehead.

"I love you, baby brother." Shane said, climbing down from the chair and saw the a woman standing in the front of the door.

"How did you know he needed you?" She asked softly.

Shane smiled and glanced at Nate. "He always needs me, he's my baby brother."

The woman picked him up and carried him to his bed. "You're a very good brother," she said, settling him into the bed.

"You're gonna take them away from me, aren't you?" Shane asked.

"I'm sorry, Shane. I know you don't understand but this is how it has to be. But I know you'll find them someday," the woman said, leaving the room to let the boys sleep.

Shane didn't understand what happened. All he knew that he was never going to forget his brothers and that hen won't stop till he finds them again. He snuggled into the bed and sang softly to himself the rest of his father's lullaby.

Goodnight my angel
Now it's time to dream
And dream how wonderful
Your life will be
Someday your child will cry and
If you sing this lullaby
Then in your heart
There will always be a part of me

Someday we'll be gone
But lullabies go on and on
They never die
That's how you and I will be...

Shane trailed off as he fell into a deep sleep, not really understanding that this was the last time he would see his brothers for fifteen long years.

( author's note )

Here it is. The prologue of this book. What do you guys think? Sad? Being honest here, I did cry a bit writing this and writing Shane singing to his brothers. Hope you enjoy this and continue on reading!