CH.37 Take me home

Start from the beginning

"Alec, you're home already?" Polly asked as she came down holding the laundry basket from the nursery.

Alec heard Eden gasp before he even saw the look of disbelief in her eyes. He turned to her at once and saw what she was seeing.

Polly.

A young blonde with chirpy energy and a contagious smile. The way she held the laundry basket and walked down the stairs bare feet would have given anyone the wrong idea. Alec's heart began to panic as Eden took a step back. Her brown eyes avoided him as she looked away from polly and slowly pulled his jacket off her narrow shoulders.

"Can...." she started in a quiet voice. "Can you call my dad, please? I want to go home."

"This is Polly," Alec said quickly. "She's the nanny."

He turned to the confused girl on the stairs and wasted no time in making the introductions, "Polly, this is Eden. My mate."

"Oh my god," Polly bounced down and sat the basket on the floor. "It's so nice to meet you. Clare and Maksim told me a lot about you. Clare said you had gone away for a few days, are you back in town now?"

Eden didn't know how to answer. She felt a sense of relief, confusion, and joy flood through her.

"Hi," Eden said in a quiet voice.

"Polly, I'm going to take Eden upstairs," Alec stepped in. "Why don't you take the rest of the night off."

"Okay," Polly shrugged. "See you later."

As the young girl disappeared down the hall, Alec reached out and took hold of Eden's hand. His heart was beating too fast and he needed to ground himself. For a split second earlier, the look in Eden's eyes had knocked the wind out of his body. How could she think he would ever open his heart to another?

Alec took the jacket from Eden's hands and threw it onto the sofa in the living room. He tugged her closer as he led her up the stairs. Eden followed without a sound. She felt him tremble slightly with worry. Wanting to be closer, she closed the gap between them and walked side by side until they stopped at a door.

"This is Arden's room," Alec said, turning to look at her.

"Arden?" Eden smiled at the name.

Alec nodded as he opened the door. His eyes stayed glued on Eden as she walked in and looked around. Her eyes found the white crib and she tiptoed over. The sunflower night light casted a soft yellow light glow throughout the space as Eden peaked into the crib.

"I adopted him," Alec said as Eden cooed and brushed Arden's dark hair back. The little boy slept peacefully unaware of the ways his life would be changing forever.

"I know," Eden smiled, not taking her eyes off the baby. "Tobias told me what happened to Grace."

Alec flinched, "Did you see her?"

"No," Eden shook her head. "Posey wouldn't allow her anywhere near me."

"Posey?"

Eden chuckled softly, "She's kind of like my mother for any and all purposes.... And she's Tobias's wife."

Alec nodded.

The two of them stood by the side of the crib and watched Arden sleep. The delight on Eden's face was like a child on Christmas morning. Alec could have stood there and watched her all day and all night. But as she reached out to stroke Arden once more, the tattoo on her left wrist caught Alec's attention.

Alec's eyes darkened as he took her hand and brought it closer for a better look. Eden tried to pull her hand back gently, but Alec held on firmly.