America Sings- Chapter 14

Start from the beginning

“If anybody has any questions, just ask the workers with the pink shirts that say iHelp. Now, you will be choosing your groups for round one. Remember, only five people per group. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor!” a chuckle crosses the crowd at the Hunger Game reference.

The rows of people are dismissed and we all step out into the giant hallway, for lack of a better term.

“Who should be in our group?” James asks.

“I think that us Iowans have to stick together,” I tell him. He nods and just then Tyler walks up.

“Hey guys! Want to be in my group?” Tyler smirks.

“Sure,” I tell him.

“We just need to find Audrey now,” James says, scanning the hall.

“We still need one more person,” I point out.

Just then Audrey comes up. “Hey guys! Can Ashlic and I join you guys?”

I look at Ashlic Brommel, the same girl from tryouts. Her hair was still long, red, and curly. Lia eyes her warily.

“Sure!” James says immediately. Obviously he wasn’t immune to Ashlic’s charm.

“Awesome! Thank you guys so much. We are totally going to win this thing!” Ashlic’s preppy attitude told me that she was once a cheerleader.

Tyler flags over a girl with the iHelp shirt on. “We have our group, now what?”

The girl hands him a sheet. “You are assigned practice room 58C. You have from right now until 6 six o clock tonight to work in it. Then you have it as long as you need it tomorrow. Good luck!”

“Thanks,” Tyler says and we start heading in down the hall that she pointed to.

We find the room and go inside. It was like a dance studio, with a mirrored wall and hard wood floors. There was even a mini stage on one side of the room.

“This is amazing!” Ashlic exclaims. “My friend, Mary, is really missing out!”

“Where is she?” Zane asks.

“Oh she’s back at the hotel, she didn’t want to come today. She said it’d be boring,” Ashlic says dismissively.

Lia puts her hand on Zane’s shoulder. “Come on, let’s let the singers do what they do best.” Lia glares at Ashlic as they walked away. I was a little confused on whether they were together or not. Ashlic pretend not to notice the glare.

“What song are we going to sing?” I ask, hoping to start soon. I needed as much practice time as possible.

“I really want to sing a country song, that’s my specialty,” Ashlic says.

“Let’s sing For You by Keith Urban,” Audrey suggests.

“I love that song!” Exclaim. Me and Audrey squeal.

“Sure, let’s do that,” James shrugs.

“I have it on my IPod,” Audrey tells us and pulls it out. We find a stereo on the stage and Audrey hooks her IPod to it.

“Now we just need to decide who sings what,” I tell everyone looking around.

“Well, we get sixty seconds to do the song. So each person gets about 12 seconds,” James says, doing the math in his head.

“I can start out, to really impress the judges,” Ashlic says, fluttering her eyelashes and the boys.

“Sure. Then we should have a boy and alternate boy girl,” James proposes.