America Sings- Chapter 10

“Oh gawd,” I whisper and clutch my stomach.

“It’ll be fine!” James assures and grabs my hand, clutching it in his.

“Then how come your hand is sweaty?” I ask, not assured at all.

“It is not,” James denies, but releases my hand.

“Hey! They have some fancy fruit in here!” Lia exclaims. We were currently seated in a stretch limousine. We were facing each other, me sitting on one side with James and Lia and Zale sitting across from us. Zale was who James decided to bring. He was a big muscular guy and not on the particularly smart side, if you know what I mean. He has a big nose and round brown eyes. His brown hair is gelled in the front and his square jaw set. He was actually quite handsome.

“Check this out!” Zale exclaims and tosses a red, round fruit with spikes all over it at James.

“Shit, man!” James curses as the spikes get his unsuspecting hands. I start to laugh at his ridiculous expression. “Yeah yeah Gem, laugh all you want. You just wait,” James says sinisterly before throwing some purple fruit at me.

“James!” I gasp and jump out of my seat, slamming my head on the roof. This sends everybody into a laughing frenzy.

“Ha ha, you’re so funny,” I mumble under my breath. My nerves were already subsiding.

“What the heck?” Lia asks and hold up a remote. “I wonder what it does,” Lia says mostly to herself before pushing a random button. A small disco ball pops out of the ceiling.

“Let me see that!” James says excitedly and grabs at the remote. Soft music starts to play.

“Me!” Zale shouts and lunges forward. Soon we were all trying to get at the remote. The lights flashed from red, purple, and blue like strobe lights and my chair starts to give me a massage. Music starts to switch from heavy metal to country music and back to the soft waterfall noises.

“Ah!” Lia exclaims as her seat drops back to a laying down position.

A small TV swings out and smacks me in the head, making me topple onto James. “Victory!” Zale shouts and pumps his fists. He doesn’t notice James and I, and Lia was still trying to get up from her seat.

“Sorry,” I whisper embarrassed. My cheeks heat up and I look away. I try to push myself up but James holds onto my hands. My blue eyes met his chocolate brown. I melt and sigh a little.

“You didn’t really think that you could get away that easy, did you?” James smirks.

“What, are you going to hold me for ransom?” I ask teasingly.

James takes in a sharp breath. His voice goes husky as he whispers in my ear. “Yes. I just need a small kiss.”

Now it is my turn to take in a sharp breath, which stabs at my throat. “Oh, really?” I ask innocently.

“Yes really,” James persists and smiles at me.

“Yo, James, check this out!” Zale exclaims. James curses under his breath. I just want to kiss his perfect lips, but I hold back. James turns us over so that he is now on top of me, he then precedes to pick us both up.

“There you go,” he whispers into my ear and I shiver under his cool, minty breath.

And as soon as our closeness starts, it ends. Zale tosses him a coke and soon they are wrestling on the back seat. I sigh as I can’t help but feel regret. Had he been messing with me like he used to, or did he honestly want a kiss? Did we just have a moment?