Chapter 1 - Rise of Calamity

So on a warm summer day you'd think that Mara Valentine will be relaxing right? Wrong. Swords clashed as the cherry tree leaves danced with the swift wind. Both her and the master jumped back as she ran towards him with determination but he vanished. There wasn't enough time to react, he came from behind with a wooden sword clutched to her neck.

"You got me again, gramps." She gasped as his grip tightened on the sword to her neck. He smirked, loosened his grip, and backed away.

"Not gramps, master, master Yang" He said, "And what's with you? That was the third time you messed up on your training today."

"Isn't that why it's called training?" Master Yang, or gramps is what she likes to call him by. He may seem old, but is definitely wise and persistent.

"Lousy girl, what if that was a real fight HMMM? In a real battle, you have to keep your guard up at all times." He baffled out as he lended her his hand.

"Yeah, yeah I know" She grabbed his hand, got up and ruffled her hands on her hair.

"You kids and your sarcasm." He muttered, turned around, and walked the cobblestone path to his little tea set by the front door to the shrine, "Just go take a shower and come back outside, there's something I need you to do for me." He said as she nodded, headed inside the shrine and went into the bathroom.

After she was done, she changed into comfy clothes and opened the bathroom door and saw a scythe displayed on these ancient walls in a clear glass case. She walked towards it slowly as her silvery eyes glowed brightly with temptation and greed. First a bit of admiration towards the black and red scythe but for some reason, she felt like she was connected to it. She raised her hand slowly to the glass box until a hand smacked hers.

"Ow, hey!" Mara barked at master Yang, "What did you do that for?!" she rubbed her hands.

"I saw what you did, you tried to touch the most valuable piece of handiwork from a celestial's own hand!" He remarked as he pointed his cane towards the scythe. "This is the scythe that was used to destroy the ferocious demon fifteen years ago. Only the ones chosen by the scythe are worthy to wield it." He lowered the cane down and looked at Mara with his saggy wrinkled face.

"Pfft are you telling me that I'm not worthy enough to wield the almighty weapon created by the celestials themselves?! Even though I'm a celestial myself?!" She spat out.

"Yes, yes I am." He chuckled behind her back.

"Just you wait, I will prove to you and everybody in this tiny little village that I'm not someone to be laughed at!" She pointed her finger at him with determination on her face, "Cause I'm going to become the best slayer I can be and slay every beast that comes in my way." She smirked highly as master Yang just stared at her in a sigh.

"When will you learn..." He grabbed a wallet from his pocket and handed Mara a twenty dollar bill with some extra coins. "I need you to go to town and get groceries for the week. Be back before six o'clock you here?" He turned around and walked without saying another word.

"Right..." She said pondering over why he was acting like that. She opened the front sliding door outside to the beautiful cherry trees. Then ran downstairs to the crystal clear water beside the stairs that streamed down like a waterfall by the sacred open gate entrance.

The mood was warm and light until she made it to town, all eyes glared at her for a moment and then continued on living with their lives. She reminded herself to stay calm as she blended in with the crowd to look for the only people that she can talk to without worry. In the corner of her eye, she saw two shopkeepers in a stand selling food supplies and other necessities.