Breakfast with Grandma

Cadence's grandmother had lived in this house for as long as she could remember. Her parents tried to make the trip from Shenandoah to Des Moines at least once or twice a month. It took about twice as long in the family car as it had this time since she was certain Eliza had topped speeds well over one hundred miles per hour. The trip generally took her dad at least two-and-a-half hours while Eliza managed to cover it in about half that time.

Grandma Janette was up and seemed to be expecting them when they pulled in. Cadence wasn't sure if she should introduce Eliza and Jamie or if she already knew them somehow. The question was answered when Janette released her granddaughter and embraced each of the others, asking, "How have you been?" Cadence shook her head, wondering how it was possible that her grandma knew these two people that she'd just met a few hours ago? Cadence was so ready to find out what the hell was going on.

As most grandmothers do, Grandma Janette insisted on feeding Cadence first before revealing anything. "Come on into the kitchen, honey," she insisted, leading her by the arm. "The biscuits are on the warmer, and I'll fix you up some scrambled eggs."

Even if she'd wanted to protest, the heavenly smell of her grandmother's biscuits was intoxicating, and Cadence felt her stomach rumble in response. She dutifully took a seat at the little table in the corner of the kitchen, and her grandmother went about slathering gravy overtop of two large biscuits. "Here you go, darling," she said with a smile as she returned to the stove to work on the promised eggs.

Cadence dug in, but a few forkfuls into her breakfast, she looked up to see Jamie and Eliza standing near the kitchen doorway. Her mouth slightly full, she asked, "Don't you guys eat?"

Eliza opened her mouth to answer, but before she could formulate a response, Janette looked at her sharply. Then, with a soft smile, she said, "Why don't you two go sit in the living room, make yourselves comfortable. We'll be in shortly."

As they filed out, Janette glanced over her shoulder at Cadence and said, "Darling, I am so very sorry to hear about your friend. I remember Drew. She was a sweet girl."

Cadence temporarily gagged on her biscuit. She knew her grandmother meant well, but thinking of Drew instantly made her choke up. Her grandmother left the eggs for a moment and quickly handed her a glass of water. Cadence took a sip, and after regaining her composure, managed, "Thanks, Grandma. I'm just having a really hard time wrapping my mind around all of this, especially the idea that Drew is gone."

Her grandmother just nodded slowly, as if she understood exactly what she was saying. "It will all start to make more sense soon, I promise you." She returned to the stove and Cadence concentrated on eating the biscuits without choking again. A moment later, her grandmother slid a full plate of eggs in front of her, and though she'd been starving a few moments ago, Cadence had no idea how she would eat all of this.

It was tempting to swallow her breakfast whole so they could get on with the transferring of information, but she knew how much her grandma appreciated a nice breakfast, so she continued to shovel the food into her mouth until she couldn't possibly take another bite, all for the sake of her grandmother's happiness.

Neither of them said much while Cadence ate. Her grandmother usually asked a million questions about school, her friends, her boyfriend, etc., but today Grandma Janette only sat nearby and sipped her coffee, as if she was leery of saying the wrong thing. Clearly, she didn't want Cadence to start asking her questions just yet.

Cadence finally set her fork aside and patted her stomach, hoping none of that came back up later. She knew she shouldn't eat so much when she was upset, but at least she was no longer starving.

"Would you like some more?" Grandma asked.

"No, thank you," Cadence replied, and before her grandmother could force anything else on her, she jumped up to rinse her plates off and put them in the dishwasher. "Okay." Cadence asked. "Can we talk now, please?" she asked, turning back to face her grandmother.

Grandma let out a soft sigh. "There's no need to rush, darling. I've been waiting a very long time to have this conversation with you, and I almost thought that it would never happen. Now that it is finally upon us, I'm honestly a little nervous about the possible outcome."

Cadence couldn't help but raise her eyebrows, not sure what that meant and slightly terrified to find out. "Grandma, do you know what happened last night? I mean, not to Drew--but to me?"

The only reply was a sharp nod, but looking into her grandmother's eyes, Cadence saw something she'd never noticed before. She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but something told her there was more to Grandma Janette than Cadence had ever realized.

Janette slowly rose from the table and made her way into the living room, her steps slow and measured, as if she were reluctant to go. Cadence followed behind, trying to take her time and be patient, something she'd never been good at.

Though the sun was up now, as it was nearly eight o'clock, the windows had heavy curtains, and not much light entered the room. Eliza and Jamie were sitting in armchairs on either side of a coffee table, both of them staring intently at the screens of what appeared to be iPhones. As the ladies entered the room, they both put their devices away and gave their full attention to Janette and Cadence.

Gesturing for Cadence to have a seat on the sofa, Janette crossed over to the bookshelf. On the very top shelf, there was a well-worn photo album, one that Grandma had always cautioned the children not to touch. It was too fragile. They would see it when they were older, she would say. Now, it seemed, Cadence was old enough at last.

Sitting down next to Cadence on the sofa and resting the book beside her on the opposite side, Janette cleared her throat and slowly began to unfold the story Cadence had been waiting to hear.