Raoul understood.

"As long as he doesn't try to hurt you. I'll be fine with leaving him alone." He stood up to leave. "Or even help him."

~~~

Olivier left her apartment to go to Erik's lair again. Tonight was the night before the masquerade ball. Before Erik unleashes his grand plan.

She makes her way down the cavernous maze and enters the lair. "Hello? Are you—whoa."

The entire place was a mess of sheet music, fabric, and ribbons. It looked like a tornado blew through the place.

Erik appeared out of the sea of cloth. His hair was unruly and the unmasked half of his face looked tired. But not angry.

Olivier made her way towards him. "What happened here?"

"I had to make my costume for tomorrow night," Erik explained. "And I'm afraid I'm a little out of practice when it comes to making men's outfits."

Olivier nodded. But you must be masterful when it comes to making wedding dresses. She thought.

An unseen ribbon snaked around her foot, causing her to stumble. Erik reached out to her. But not in time before she hit the floor.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"Yeah, just bruised my knee." Olivier stood up. And winced. "Ouch."

"Can you walk?"

"I think so. Don't worry too much."

"I am worried," Erik said rather surprisingly. "If you can't walk, you can't dance. And if you can't dance, you can't go to the masquerade tomorrow night."

That surprised Olivier. "You never said anything about me attending."

"You said you would help me. I thought you'd attend for my benefit." Erik was confused. "Are you really not attending?"

Now Olivier felt bad. "Actually on second thought, yes, I'll be attending."

"Good," Erik said in relief. He went back to whatever he was working on. "Now I feel that my chances of messing up have decreased."

Olivier walked over—more carefully this time—to see what Erik was working on. He was finishing an elaborate-looking mask. It resembled a skull but was so much more ornamented.

"Is that your mask for tomorrow night?" She asked.

"Yes. Do you like it?" He continued to work. "It took me a long time."

"I do. But I don't think I'll like it as much I'll like your new opera." Olivier looked around for the sheet score of Don Juan Triumphant. "Where is it?"

"Safely hidden and packaged. I'm planning on revealing it tomorrow night."

That excited Olivier. "How?"

Erik picked up a red cape and threw it over himself. "By appearing before the audience when they least expect me. Then get Christine to my side. And introduce my opera before them—"

"—You're going to try and make a big scene?" Olivier grimaced.

"Yes. I've been gone for six months, if I don't do this, I'll be forgotten."

Olivier shook her head. "You're far from forgotten. You're a bad memory and if you do that, you'll be remembered again...as a nightmare."

Erik looked at her in dismay. "Alright, then Miss Koenig. Tell me, what should I do?"