Chapter 19: Disorder

A/N: Chapter 19 is here! Gosh, guys, it's almost over >.< 6 more chapters, an epilogue and a bonus chapter, then it's over...well, the main trilogy is, anyway :P Sorry for the delay with this chapter; I've been busy this past week with family emergencies and stuff but I'm sure you'll enjoy this chapter regardless! :D It's LONG! ;) A good thing, right? You be the judge :) Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 19: Disorder

    I could smell the blood; both kinds of it. Human mixed with vampire. A battle was raging somewhere, and I was almost too slow to intervene.

    Feeling a surge of confidence flow through me, I got to my feet and headed out of the cell and into the fray. Thankfully, the fighting was occurring above me, on floors that consisted of vampires and hunters alike. Shit, I had to do something before-

    An audible click sounded from behind me, and I froze.

    So much for being alone...

    Human, my instinct told me. Hunter. Did I know them? A sharp pounding entered my senses, and I focused on that heartbeat.

    Not afraid... they weren't afraid...

    "Turn around slowly," the hunter ordered tightly, and my ears perked at the familiar voice.

    Oh, no. "Ethan," I hissed softly. "Let me go."

    He only scoffed harshly. "So you can join your fellow bloodsuckers to kill more innocents? I don't think so." He paused. "I should shoot you right now. It would solve a lot of problems."

    My eyes widened at his cold tone, and my shoulders tensed up with realization. That click had been a handgun cocking, ready to release. I swallowed as softly as I could manage, keeping my entire body stationary. If I moved too fast, Ethan wouldn't hesitate. I licked my dry, bloodstained lips. "I...I can help."

    "Bullshit."

    "Ethan, b-believe me," I ground through clenched teeth. "You know I would never ask for this life. You know me," I pressed angrily as I finally turned to face him.

    "I did know you." Ethan was crouched over, a sleek black gun in his hand. His free hand was balled into a fist, and my eyes reached his face. His skin was littered with cuts, bruises and dried blood. I'd never seen him so badly beaten. Black hair obscured parts of his eyes, but I still tried to look into them. No, I wasn't attempting compulsion. I was too weak for that, but Ethan didn't know my intentions. He lifted his weapon. "Head down or I shoot."

    "Ethan," I began. "Let me help. My uncle's planning to exterminate the Agency."

    "You think I don't know that already, leech?" Ethan growled back, training his eyes on anything but my face. "It's too late, you know. We're losing, we're outnumbered. At least I won't be letting you get away."

    His words were the trigger to run, and if I hadn't sensed it, I would've been an immortal shish kebab by then. Instead, I retreated until my back reached the doors to the stairs and elevator. I had to get aboveground before-

    Ethan was relentless with the pointed stake in his white-knuckled grip. He came at me ceaselessly, ignoring my fanged warnings and nearly impaled me with the object. I scrambled to get out of his reach, missing another lunge by inches.

    Goddammit!

    "Ethan, stop!" I pleaded, managing to grab the hunter's wrist tightly, squeezing it for emphasis. "Ethan!"