Chapter 7

****1 hour later ****

3rd POV:

After having argued for way too long on what to make for dinner, Kelly ended up deciding that it'd be safest to just make spaghetti bolognese and a salad for dinner. They all already knew that she wasn't a vegetarian therefore cooking the bolognese wouldn't be an issue. Well, if they hadn't have been cooking with Marcus' help that is.

"I swear to god Marcus if you don't get away from the pasta RIGHT NOW you're sleeping on the couch all week!" A exhausted but frustrated Kelly yells, as Marcus attempts to cook the second batch of pasta. The first batch had somehow ended up glued to the bottom of the pan after he'd forgotten to set a timer and allowed the noodles to boil for an extra 15 minutes.

"I told you it was an accident babe why won't you believe me! As if i would want to let more of this beautiful pasta go to waste!" Marcus retorts, pouting as he hugs the box of pasta to himself as though cradling a baby.

Ryder throws him a look of sheer disgust before pulling the poor pasta out of his imbecile of a friends arms. "Stop holding my pasta like that you creep. It isn't a baby." Ryder throws him a humorous look as he glances over at him gobsmacked face, before deciding it'd be easier to cook the pasta himself than to trust Marcus. The guy has more luck in food poisoning the lot of them than he does in even a single strand coming out well cooked.

They had decided to separate the cooking in three parts, giving marcus the easiest job of just cooking the pasta, but clearly had screwed up trusting him to do anything when it came to cooking. Kelly was making the bolognese as she was the least likely to overcook the meat, whilst Ryder was in charge of making the pear and rocket salad to go with the pasta dish, his inner health freak showing through and forcing them to make a salad instead of garlic bread like Marcus had suggested.

"If i wanted to die from a carb overload I would've just eaten an entire loaf of bread and called it a day Marcus. I don't want my little sister to get influenced by your bad habits. Bread with pasta, what even is the point?!" Ryder had argued in response to Marcus' seemingly innocent but insane to Ryder idea.

How dare he try and push his unhealthy habits onto Mia he had thought. She's only 12, if she learns from the likes of him she'd end up being a bread-addicted idiot who can't even boil pasta. Thought Ryder loved his friend, he was forever grateful for Kelly, otherwise he would've killed Marcus by now for being such an idiot half the time. If only he wasn't such a good fighter.

By the time dinner was ready, and Marcus had stopped moping, Ryder was ready to go get Mia. Kelly had offered to get her in case Ryder wasn't feeling up to it, but he was determined to get to know her better, and if he couldn't even tell her dinner was ready, how could that ever happen.

Walking steadily to Mia's new room, he assesses his expectations versus reality of his sister. She was a lot cuter than he had initially thought she would be, with a childlike innocence and yet a sense of maturity that was surprising for a 12 year old. Though she didn't look her age, she had lots of her fathers features like the tan skin and lighter brown hair, but with the delicate features his mother had and a shorter stature like she had. She seemed to be quite timid, but he wasn't sure if that was just because they were new to her.

Before he realised, he had ended up in front of her door, glancing down the hallway to realise he had indeed already walked the entire way there from the kitchen. He knocked lightly on the door and waited for a response. When he got none he tried knocking again, this time calling out her name to try and bring more attention to his arrival. Still no response.

Taking in a big breath for encouragement, he slowly turns the doorknob and peaks his head inside, a funny sight for any who would've seen it considering his dominating frame and otherwise intimidating features. He glanced around the room in hopes of spotting her, only to see the top of her head popping out from the beds blanket.