one

TEN MONTHS EARLIER

Amelia and Jacob shared the same room. Amelia had a fear of sleeping alone, paranoid one might say, she found out when she tried sleeping alone in a room that their parents made a while back.

Jacob being the loving older brother, said yes, to Amelia sleeping in a room with him.

their dad opened the door to their bedroom, seeing his son had his arms wrapped around his daughter's small body while their alarm beeped.

"hey, come on, time to get up", Andy said as he walked towards the alarm clock to turn it off.

once the alarm was off, Andy went out the room, "let's go, rise and shine".

Andy looked back at his 2 kids, seeing no-one went out of their beds.

"Jake? Mel? gotta see those eyes", Andy said as he leaned on the doorway.

Andy shook his head as he went to sit down on one of the bean bags, "all right, you leave me no choice".

Andy took out his phone as Amelia and Jacob groaned. Andy played Back In Black by ACDC that Amelia and Jacob hated so much.

Jacob and Amelia groaned at the sound of the rock music playing.

finally, the kids opened the blankets that were on their faces, "i'm up, i'm up", Jacob groaned.

"there they are! ", Andy said as he stopped playing the rock music.

"morning, kids", Andy said as he left the room, leaving the 2 sleepy kids.

"morning, Jake", Amelia said as she closed her eyes. "morning, Lia", Jacob smiled as he sat on his bed.

Jacob put his finger on Amelia's nose, making her scrunch her nose, "cute", Jacob mumbled as he chuckled softly.

"c'mon, we have school", Jacob said as he stood up and shook his sister.

Amelia sat up, stretching her small, tired body then.

⇏-------------------------⇍

Jacob and Amelia ran down stairs, Jacob holding a paper in his hands whilst.

Amelia gave her sweating mom a side hug, "morning, mom".

their mother smiled, "morning sweetheart". Jacob placed the paper beside Laurie, "can you quiz me on vocab? i have a test today"

"oh, good morning to you too", Laurie smiled. "morning, mom", Jacob smiled as he walked towards the fridge.

Amelia grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl, washing it and biting it then.

"do you guys need a ride or walk? ", Laurie asked before she drank her coffee and read the paper.

"no, we'll walk, did you get the new waffles? ", Jacob asked as he looked around the fridge.

"i did if you put them on my list", Laurie said as she read the paper again. "perspicacious", Laurie asked.

"having a keen understanding", Amelia said as she sat on the chair waiting for Jacob. "Lia! ", Jacob looked at Amelia as he smiled.

"sorry", Amelia smiled before biting again on her apple. "they're not in here", Jacob said looking back at the fridge.

"you didn't get waffles, mom? ", Amelia said, "i'm pretty sure i wrote it on your list".

"then they should be in there", Laurie said before reading the paper again, "cursory".

"brief and lacking depth", Jacob said before Amelia opened her mouth, "i don't see them".

"second shelf next to the peas", Laurie pointed, "myopic".

"i'm telling you, they're not-", Jacob said before finding it, "oh".

"get me one too, Jake", Amelia said as she read her book, "yeah, i got you", Jacob said as he took another waffle.

"myopic", Laurie asked again, "possessing a narrow view", Jacob said as he turned around and closed the fridge. Laurie shrugged as she smiled.

then, Andy walked in the kitchen with his suit on. "how was the run? ", Andy asked as he kissed Laurie's neck.

Jacob placed the 2 waffles in the microwave while Amelia continue reading her book.

"recalcitrant", Laurie asked. "yikes", Andy said as he poured a cup of coffee.

Amelia stood up from her chair, going to Andy then, "morning, dad", Amelia gave her dad a side hug.

"morning sweetheart", Andy hugged her daughter back.

Amelia and Andy let go, Amelia going back to her chair and back to her book.

"vocab test", Laurie said as she looked at Jacob. "hey would you throw one of those for me too, buddy? ", Andy said as he looked back and forth to the coffee and Jacob.

"recalcitrant", Jacob mumbled, "i don't know", Jacob looked at their mother.

"defying authority", Amelia said as she continue to read her book, "yeah", Laurie smiled as she looked at Amelia.

"are you sure? let me see", Jacob said as he took the paper back from their mother, "that's what it says", Laurie said as she gave the paper back.

"where'd you run? ", Andy asked as he leaned against the countertop.

"along Boylston, i got lost in that history podcast i told you about", Laurie said as she looked at Andy, "i think you'd really like it".

"i'll check it out", Andy said. "no, you won't", Laurie smiled as Andy sipped on his coffee, looking at Laurie.

Amelia closed her book and stood up, going to Jacob who was reading the paper.

"see, it's defying authority or simple words, uncooperative", Amelia said as Jacob looked at his sister.

'i guess so", Jacob nodded. Amelia took out her earphones and Jacob's as well, handing Jacob's earphones to him.

"thanks", he smiled, making Amelia nod as she plugged the earphones into her phone.

'Mexico", Andy said, making Jacob and Amelia look at their parents, "what about Mexico? ", Jacob asked.

"we're thinking about going there for Christmas, four of us, what do you think? ", Andy said as Laurie smiled, nodding whilst.

Jacob and Amelia nodded, "cool", they looked back at the paper.

"you guys be a little more excited", Laurie shrugged as Andy drank his coffee again.

"we are", Jacob chuckled as Amelia continue reading the vocab paper.

"well, tell your face", Laurie said as Jacob read the paper with Amelia.

"you love that line", Amelia smiled. "you really do", Andy said as he stood up.

"look, we should make a decision, should we go? ", Laurie leaned against the counter top.

"i mean, Mel and Jake are obviously ecstatic", Laurie said as Jacob placed the paper on the counter top behind him.

"i wouldn't wanna break their hearts", Laurie said as Amelia mumbled the words on the paper.

"what kind of parents would we be? ", Andy said before sipping on his coffee.

"hilarious", Amelia and Jacob said in unison as they looked at their parents.

"so are we going? ", Laurie asked. "i say yes, yes to Mexico", Andy nodded.

"all right, i'll call her", Laurie said, making Jacob and Amelia smile.

Jacob handed Andy the paper as he went to the microwave to take the waffles out.

word count: 1120 words.