CH.31 Restoring the balance

Start from the beginning

Alec slowly nodded his head, "She's cold."

"What?" Mavi couldn't hear what he said.

"She said she was cold," Alec said again. He tried to run a hand through his hair but stopped when he spotted the blood again.

"Jackson and Rose are on their way," Owen said as he walked up to them. His eyes fell on Alec as he stared at the blood.

"Come," Owen pulled his brother up. "You need to clean up."

Mavi stood as Owen led Alec to the bathroom in the waiting area. She heard the rush of the water followed by Alec's sobs as Owen washed his hands.

Mavi, Gemma's voice spoke through the link. Can you come here?

Mavi followed Gemma's scent into one of the empty hospital rooms. She shivered silently as she spotted Peter's body on the bed and Gemma standing next to it.

"What's wrong?" Mavi asked as she saw the worried look on Gemma's face. She rushed forward and eyed the ankh on Peter's chest.

"It's not working," Gemma confessed. Her voice cracked slightly as her eyes began to water.

"What?" Mavi's blood chilled.

"I've been trying over and over," Gemma looked down at Peter's body again. "But it's not working. I can't pull him back."

"How is that possible?" Mavi began to panic. "Is it too late? Did we wait too long?"

"No," Gemma shook her head. "It's only been a few minutes....but I can't sense his soul. Nothing is working."

"Keep trying," Mavi said as she pushed her hair out of her face.

What's wrong, Owen asked her through the link as he felt her panic.

The ankh isn't working, Mavi said.

What do you mean it's not working? Owen asked, confused.

She's trying to bring Peter back, but it's not working, Mavi informed him. Don't tell Alec. We'll keep trying.

Mavi, Rye's voice opened her link before she could close it. I need you in the OR.

On my way, Mavi linked back.

"Mom needs me," Mavi said to Gemma as she headed for the door.

"Go, go," Gemma nodded as she focused back on Peter.

Mavi ran out of the room and into the observation booth in the OR. Rye spotted her as she directed the other doctor to take over.

"What's wrong?" Mavi asked as she eyes Eden's body and the team of doctors around her.

"There's a lot of damage," Rye said from the other side of the glass. "She already flatlines once. We gave her some healing clay but it's not working fast enough. I want to give her some of your scale before she takes a turn for the worse."

"Okay," Mavi nodded immediately.

"Follow Nancy," Rye pointed to the nurse by the door.

Mavi took one last look at the girl on the operating table and rushed out.

Outside in the waiting area, Alec looked around at the empty seats.

"Where's Mavi?" He asked his brother.

"She's helping Rye," Owen said.

"What's Eden's condition?"

"I don't know,"