3

MUTT
— 3. Deny, Deny, Deny

   "Why are all these mattresses out here?" John B asked they walked up to the second level of the motel room

"After a hurricane, they ditch 'em when they're moldy," JJ informed him in a calm tone.

JJ wrapped an arm around John B, beginning to get touchy feely with him. "Just be so careful, John," He moaned, clearly taunting John B about Kiara as he stroked his friend's face.

"God, you're so weird," John B complained, pushing JJ off of him.

"What the heck was that about?" JJ asked, exchanging a look with Rory, who smiled in amusement.

"I don't know," John B shrugged, not seeing anything weird about it, "Maybe she wants us to be careful."

"Since she heard you're being threatened with exile, she's just been, like..." He trailed off, beginning to imitate Kiara in a whiny tone as he began to massage John B's shoulders, "'Oh! Be so careful, John B.'"

"Get off!" John B shoved JJ off once more as Rory laughed.

"'Oh, give me that John D already.'" JJ continued on and Rory smiled in amusement.

"JJ's got a point, though. When are you gonna get at that, John B? I don't see what's stopping you," Rory found herself asking John B out of curiosity.

"Dude, you know the rule," John B reminded Rory in a calm tone, "No Pogue-on-Pogue macking."

"A rule made in middle school to stop you idiots from fighting back when you both had a crush on me," Rory complained in an aggravated tone, "We're in high school, man. That rule doesn't apply anymore."

"If anyone's trying to hit on Kie, it's JJ," John B complained, purposely trying to change the subject, "He's the one always hitting on her."

"Of course I'm hitting on her. She's a super-hot, rich, hippie chick slumming with us," JJ replied without a care in the world and Rory nodded, knowing he had a point, "Why? I can't figure it out either, but who cares, bro? I know that door's locked because I've tried it."

"The real question is, has he?" Rory spoke up, pointing toward John B.

"Exactly, Rory," JJ agreed with John B, the two of them turning to look at their friend.

"You two need help," John B complained, glancing between the two, "Not a little help, you need a lot of help. JJ, it's like every girl who just has a heartbeat, you're like...Uhh!" He explained before pointing toward Rory, "Same goes for you, just with boys and girls."

"What?" Rory complained, giving John B a weird look, "It's not a big deal."

"Is that us?" John B asked as he stopped in front of the door that had the same number as the key he grasped in his hand, "Twenty-nine. That is it."