"Okay, what's up, Z?" Candace asked, taking a sip of her coffee and leaning forward. 

"I'm pregnant," I mumbled. But it really sounded warped and jumbled, not at all like what I was saying. 

"What?" she asked like she hadn't heard me, which she probably didn't. 

Pulling my hands away from my face and looking at her, I said, "I'm pregnant." 

"What?" she asked, this time, standing up from her chair and basically yelling it.  

"I meant what I said, I'm not speaking Farsi," I told her, more than a little frustrated. 

"Oh, I heard you," Candy said, sitting back down. "I just was shocked, that's all." She paused and seemed to think about something momentarily. "Why are you telling me? I mean, I like to know when my friends and employees are pregnant, but why? Shouldn't you be telling Andy?" 

I nodded slowly. "Yeah, I should, but I need help first. I'm visiting him in Texas on the 31st. I was thinking I could tell him then. I don't want to tell him over the phone," I suggested. 

Candy nodded. "Good idea. My boyfriend wouldn't have been too happy if I had told him over the phone," she thought for a moment. "So, why do you need my help?" 

I sighed. "I need some help with the prenatal stuff. I didn't really pay attention in health class, to say the least," I told her sheepishly. 

She smiled. "Ah, I see, well, I can help you there. I just need to know how far along you are first." 

I looked at her like she was crazy. "Dude, how the heck am I supposed to know that?" 

Candy rolled her eyes. "We'll make you a gynecologist appointment." 

"Great idea," I commented. "And while you do that, I'm gonna start my shift." 

As I was walking through the door to the store, Candy called out to me. "Hey, no heavy lifting for you, missy!" 

It was my turn to roll my eyes. "Yeah, yeah, whatever you say, mother." 

{*************************************BVB***************************************} 

Candy was able to make an appointment for me early the next day. Luckily, neither of us worked, so I had her with me. Since Andy wasn't here, Candy was like my support, and I appreciated it. 

"Alexandria Night," a young nurse in blue scrubs called out. I set down my horrible magazine (stupid doctors offices) and went to see the lady at the door. She couldn't have been older than Candace, so maybe in her mid twenties. Good job when you were so young. 

"Room number five," she said to me, smiling.  

"Thank you," I replied, Candy smiling behind me. 

We entered the open room, the nurse closing the door behind us. She flipped open what looked to be the paperwork I had filled out when I first got here. The nurse skimmed over a few sheets, taking in the important information. 

"Okay, here it says you're in here to see how far along you are," she said, stating the obvious. I wanted to roll my eyes, but I figured I'd be nice today and put out a good attitude. 

"Yeah, I really just need a check up," I told her. 

"Okay, well the technician will be in here shortly, she's almost finished up with her other patient. Then we'll get the doctor in here to do a check up," Nurse Obvious said, flashing a friendly smile before leaving the room. 

I took a deep breath, trying to relax. Candace came over and rubbed my back. 

"It's gonna be fine, Z" she cooed, like I was a frightened horse that she didn't want to spook. "How come you didn't bring Lottie along?"