c h a p t e r e l e v e n

Start from the beginning

"What is everyone doing downstairs?"

"They're having a victory party," Percy exclaimed as he and Alec joined the two girls. Alec nodded his agreement.

"It sounds fun, Theodosia," Korinna said. "Don't you think?"

"No," Theodosia sighed. The three young Greeks deflated, but then she said, "But I'll go anyway. Maybe I can intimidate the new nightguard."

"That's a terrible idea," Percy tried to say, but Alec interrupted him.

"That's the Theodosia we know! We're here to help, if you need it."

"Sure," Korinna nodded, secretly agreeing with Percy, but desperate for a reason to get Theodosia out of the exhibit. She had come to realize that with Spartans, violence was always a good motivator. "If that's what works. Let's go."

Just as the three young wax exhibits had said, the entire museum was having a victory party. Music was blasting and there were colourful lights projected onto the walls around the foyer. Everyone was getting along, and it seemed that everyone was having a great time. The moment the three arrived, Theodosia saw the look on Alec's face and knew what he would rather be doing.

She smiled at the trio. "You can go have fun. You don't have to stay with me, I'll be alright."

"I like it up here," Korrina protested, swaying slightly to the song.

"As do we," Alec nodded, but Theodosia knew that wasn't true. Alec was a rotten liar. He couldn't even look away from the foyer as he said it. His eyes had found the Huns and the other exhibit's playing soccer.

"Alec stop pretending, I know you want to go."

"He doesn't—" Percy started, but Alec was quick to interrupt him.

"I do," he nodded, "So badly. You wouldn't mind?"

"Not at all!" Theodosia assured him

Before she could blink, Alec rushed to join the game below. Not so much as a goodbye, but Theodosia was hardly surprised. Percy seemed surprised, though. He stayed staring at the spot where Alec was standing, looking baffled.

Theodosia patted his shoulder reassuringly. "Don't try to see the best in him, Percy, it doesn't exist."

"Should I...go with him?"

Theodosia nodded. "I would, he's very competitive."

With that, Percy joined Alec. With him and Alec gone, Theodosia felt less smothered. As much as she knew they were trying to help, she didn't like being a burden to them. Korinna should be with Alec and Percy, enjoying herself, but she was here with Theodosia instead. Even Korinna couldn't hide her curiosity about the party below.

Theodosia tried to say so, but Korinna was quicker than she was. "Don't try and convince me to go have fun. I'm having fun, with you."

"I'm fine—" Theodosia had plenty more to add, but she was suddenly distracted. Korinna didn't notice, but it caught Theodosia's attention immediately.

It was Rexy, the giant skeleton dinosaur she begrudgingly rode last night, walking by the balcony they stood on being led by a toy car that could only be operated by miniature men – miniature men who had crashed last night right in front of Theodosia in a fiery little poof – and on his back was Nicky. Nicky. Larry's son. Nicky who only came to the museum with Larry.