xxiii.

sebastian had spotted bella as soon as she'd walked into the room.

how couldn't he?

he had kept one eye on her for most of the evening,  her and her small white dress moving around the room effortlessly. he couldn't help feeling frustrated as he watched men flirt with her. he knew that everyone wanted her, and he knew that she knew that. even though she was in a room with hundreds of people that were older, and successful, she still held such an air of confidence and superiority.

when he finally approached her, she was leaning against the bar with a drink in hand. the night was winding down, sebastian had chatted and networked with everyone he needed to and now there was only one thing on his mind.

"you're the prettiest girl here tonight, darling."

bella turned around at the sound of his voice, a light smile on her lips.

"i know."

bella tried to spin back around to continue talking to the attractive bar tender, when sebastian grabbed her arm and pulled her flush against him.

"sebastian, there's people everywhere." bella whined. she stepped back slightly and frowned at the man before her.

"do you think i care?"

"i wish you would."

sebastian sighed, moving his hand down to take hers. he pulled her towards him, leaning down to whisper in her ear.

"can we stop with these games already, baby?"

"i don't know what you're talking about." bella pulled back, taking a sip from her drink and looking at sebastian from behind the rim of the wine glass.

"look, i'm sorry that i left the other day. it was just a stupid meeting and you're more important than that to me."

"seb, i wasn't looking for an apology. for the record." bella chuckled and placed her hand on his chest, fumbling with the lapel of his jacket. "but that was cute. you're awful at playing along with the chase, by the way."

"yeah?" sebastian was smirking now. "maybe that's because i like to take what i want."

"yeah? then what are you waiting for?"

and with that, sebastian took bella's hand  again and lead her straight out of the party.