"Stop that. That look is unbecoming of you," The emperor said flatly.

The younger man rolled his eyes. "Fine, it was noble consort Guo."

Li FeiHong froze. "Guo WanLin?"

Jin WangShu nodded and clenched his teeth together anxiously as he watched the other man's face slowly morph with anger. The former placed his hand on the emperor's shoulder.

"Get off," FeiHong snarled, "I will punish her severely."

"FeiHong, wait. I think you should listen to why she did what she did," The general said quickly.

Not being able to take himself seriously in the position he was currently in, the phoenix general got off the emperor's lap and sat himself properly on the bed.

"I don't think that noble consort Guo hates me, rather, she is just trying to get back at somebody," Jin WangShu took a deep breath, "When was the last time that you have seen your daughter?"

Li FeiHong's brows furrowed in confusion. "What does she have to do with this?"

The general narrowed his eyes, prompting the older man to answer.

"I saw her less than a month ago while I was passing by Chi Tang Residence."

Jin WangShu sighed, "You should start seeing her more. Have you ever thought that maybe Guo WanLin isn't trying to gain your attention for her own sake, but for her daughter instead? I don't believe, even knowing what kind of person noble consort Guo is, that she would resort to such desperate and petty means just to receive your favour."

The emperor stood up from the bed and began putting on his outer robes, "What did she tell you in order for you to believe her so easily?" It was clear that he was not very eager to see the best in someone who had plotted such a scheme. "If she wants me to see EnSi more, all she needs to do is to say so."

WangShu sighed, "FeiHong, have you forgotten that you are emperor? Your wives cannot get mad at you, yell at you, or tell you what to do like other women can to their husbands. Guo WanLin does not know you well; she would not endanger herself and her daughter like that if there is even a slight chance that you would get angry."

Li FeiHong paused from getting ready, a thoughtful expression on his face. At last, he let out a long exhale. "I cannot let her go unpunished for her crime."

The younger man stood up and smiled, "I am not asking for that. What kind of person would I be, if I let someone who had attempted murder get away without punishment? What sort of example would this set for your people, and what kind of pushover would I become? I am not that merciful."

"What do you propose I should do then?" Li FeiHong asked, posture still tense.

"I've heard of the cold palace, and I know that it is supposedly the worst punishment that a concubine can think of. Why not banish her there? That way, your daughter will still be able to see her mother and won't be deprived of one for Guo WanLin's mistakes," Jin WangShu suggested.

There was a long pause, as Emperor Li FeiHong contemplated this suggestion. At last, he rubbed his temples and eased the crease between his brows.

The emperor huffed in annoyance, "I will cease the investigation, but if something like this happens again, I won't be sparing her life again. And," he paused, "I'll make sure to pay more attention to EnSi and make up for lost time. It's not that I don't love her, I just don't show it very well, I suppose."

Before FeiHong could make his way out his bedroom for morning court, Jin WangShu grabbed onto the former's sleeve.

"One more thing," he said shyly, "I was thinking of retiring as an army general after I return from the approaching war."