Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"Wait! I got you a gift! It's in my closet, do you want to grab it? The blue bag," I explain.

She bends down and grabs it from my closet. She opens it and smiles at me.

"That's so sweet. Thank you," she says, admiring the new bracelet I got her.

"You're welcome," I smile.

"Oh! The cinnamon rolls must be burning!" She exclaims when she hears an alarm go off. She runs out of the room. "I'll bring some up to you!"

As soon as she's down the stairs, I become curious. I open the present from Drew. It's a ring. It's a silver band and has a crystal in the center. It's simple, but it's beautiful. I smile at it and try it on. It fits perfectly.

Danny got me a bottle of wonderful smelling perfume. I spray some around my bed and it smells great.

Brendan's is a necklace. It has a gold chain and a heart encrusted with tons of designs. It's beautiful.

I feel automatically lame for getting them all socks; Drew's had watermelons, Brendan's had popcorn, and Danny's had French fries. I guess I should have probably gotten them something better... But hey, I'm a teenage girl with a very small budget.

My mom returns with the plate of cinnamon rolls for me. I thank her and she leaves me in my room to finish it off while she goes to work. Even though that's not her ideal Christmas Day, she was practically forced to.

Once she leaves for work, I just sing along to my Christmas songs playing.

That's when I remember that the article should be here today. Although I'm definitely not supposed to, I pull off my blankets and get out of bed. Curiosity gets the better of me and my health apparently.

My muscles are sore, my joints tight. Everything aches with every step towards the kitchen.

The stairs are difficult. I can't get down them easily. I have to take it slowly, grasping the railing for support.

When I finally make it to the kitchen, I find a stack of mail. I run through them. Christmas card, Christmas card, ah, magazine. I pull it out.

I sit down at the table and open it to page four where it says the article should be.

I read the entire first section about the friends and having a good time. It's interesting to see Mandy in all their conversations making jokes and stuff since I have never said so much as two words to the girl.

Then I get to the section about Drew and Mandy. A recorded conversation makes me feel suspicious of his feelings for the girl. It reads:

"Drew: 'Why'd you come?'

Mandy: 'I thought it would be nice to hang out with you for a change.'

Drew: 'I've been meaning to talk to you for a while.'

Mandy: 'You have?'

Drew: 'I couldn't just ignore such a beautiful girl like you. Of course I want to talk to you. You interest me.'

Mandy: 'Interest you?"

Drew: 'Yeah. You're nice. You're funny. You're incredible."

Mandy: 'You're too flattering.'

Drew: 'Only to those who deserve it.'

Mandy: 'And I do?'

Drew: 'Of course. Mandy, would you care to go on a date with me sometime? I want to get to know you better.'

Mandy: 'I'd love that.'

And I would love to unread that entire passage of the magazine. My insides churn in jealousy as I reread the entire thing.

I know this is all a part of the article and it has to be believable. But it just feels so real when I read it. I can picture him saying every last word to the girl.

I feel tears rising in my eyes as I find another passage on the next page. I read it through my blurring vision.

"Drew: 'I've spent almost three weeks hanging out with you, Mandy.'

Mandy: 'Time flew by so fast.'

Drew: 'I've been meaning to ask you something.'

Mandy: 'And what might that be?'

Drew: 'Will you be my girlfriend?'

Mandy: 'I thought you'd never ask.'

Drew: 'Is that a yes?'

Mandy: 'I've never been more certain about it in my life.'"

I feel like tearing the magazine to shreds. I knew I would find passages like this in the magazine. I knew it would be bad, but I didn't know it would be like this. I didn't know I would care so much.

Tears roll down my cheeks as I furiously tear out the page from the magazine. I shred it to smaller pieces and in fury I put them in the sink drain and completely destroy whatever was left of the 'fake dating' portion of the article.

I wipe off my eyes and try to contain my emotions while I pick up the magazine.

The last page is just a collage of pictures. None of which I took.

The first is of the group in midst of laughing at what looks like the park. Many contain Brendan and Danny. Lots have Missy and Karen. There are some of Drew and Mandy.

But a wrench is thrown at me when I see one of the pictures. My eyes widen.

It's a photo of Mandy and Drew. Lips locked. Kissing.

I drop the magazine.

What a perfect Christmas gift. Thank you, Drew, for ripping out my heart like that.