Chapter six (집)

"Let your home be your mast and not your anchor." ~ Kahlil Gibran

^Dirt by Florida Georgia Line (New Country)

⾵㊙𝍈

My blankets are pulled off me abruptly.
Cold air replaces cozy warmth.

"Wake up. Mom said so."

I groan as I open my eyes to see who intruded my sleep.

Sarah walks out of my already open bedroom door, interpreting the task of waking me up as her undeserved punishment. 

Staring at the ceiling, I consider not getting up, I mean, wouldn't a few more minutes of bliss be worth it?
Craning my neck to peer at the clock, I shout obscenities and rush out of bed as I see it's 9:35.
Even on a weekend, I could only sleep till 7:00, maybe 7:30.
Assuming that Sarah went downstairs, I call out, through thought,

"Christine, what should I wear?"

"Just a minute!"

The sound of high-pitched screaming pierces the air, then fast footsteps on wood.
They grow fainter and fainter until it stops completely.

Christine walks through the open door (literally), and opens my dresser, scouring through my clothes.
Finally holding up a silk shirt with barely-there ruffle sleeves and a lacy back.
She pairs it with black leggings and blue walking shoes made with a blue fabric that has tiny holes everywhere.

I hug her, managing to make physical contact with her.
I emphasized that due to all the instances when I went through her in the past.
It is especially embarrassing when you are trying to give your best friend a high five.

"My turn!"

I flick my wrist and a navy blue phoebe formal dress appears on her, the same dress I found on Google a few days ago.

She looks better in it than the model who wore it in the photo.

"Thank you." She smiles, and its life spreads to her eyes.

As I was about to reply, my mom yells,"Kait, GET UP!!!"
Running to the bathroom, I lock the door behind me and dress quickly.
I race out the door and look back to wave goodbye.

But she is already gone.

My house is three stories tall (not including the attic and basement) and is soooo big, the attic has a bathroom, a kitchenette, a laundry room, three bedrooms (including my own), and a secret passageway to a tiny room on the roof.
My mom had bought it from an old couple who was looking for the right person to sell it to.
And sold it to us for $200 (in total).
The man had warned us that it was haunted, but my mother didn't believe in ghosts, so she bought it.