~ Dances and Declarations ~

Start from the beginning

Happier than ever, Ahsoka let Lux lead her to the buffet table. They each served themselves and sat down side-by-side. After a series of toasts and speeches to celebrate the holiday, a band played music fit for dancing.

Soon, everyone at the table except Lux and herself had joined the growing crowd on the dance floor. Upon noticing this, Lux stood up and offered Ahsoka his hand. "May I have this dance?"

She stood up and took it. "I thought you'd never ask!"

He chuckled. "Forgive me if I'm a little nervous. I've been going to this thing for years, but this is the first time I've actually brought a date."

A new song started playing as soon as they reached the dance floor. Ahsoka guessed it was an Onderonian folk song of sorts. It had a romantic mood to it, and she felt like it was playing just for them.

Lux placed his hand on her back, Ahsoka's hand on his shoulder, and their free hands met. Together, they danced to the music. Ahsoka tried to remember the basics she'd been taught, but frankly, dancing just wasn't her thing. After stepping on his toes a few times, Lux smiled softly.

"Relax, sweetheart. You're making it harder than it has to be. Just trust me."

She nodded and let go, surrendering herself to him. He was right; it was easier. Lux twirled her around gently in time with the music, leaving Ahsoka breathless. The warmth between them grew more powerful my the second, her heartbeat growing steadily with it. His arms felt strong around her as he guided her across the dance floor.

She gazed into his dreamy eyes and resisted the urge to kiss him. He was just so perfect. There was no way to deny it; she was in love.

The rest of the partygoers disappeared from her focus. It was just her and Lux in that moment. Nothing else seemed to matter. They became one with the song, the dance, and each other as they shared each breath and each step.

The song came to a close, and Lux twirled Ahsoka again. He pulled her back gracefully into his arms and kissed her forehead. She placed her hands on his shoulders as slower music began to play.

"That was really nice," she said.

"Yeah, I agree. We should do that more."

She nodded. "I'm surprised no one has recognized me yet."

"Well, you are wearing a mask. And no one has any reason to believe that a Jedi Padawan would be here."

"Very true. You know I still worry. If I'm caught, I'd have to give up either the Jedi or you, and I honestly don't know what I'd do. Both are way too important to lose."

"Then let's hope it never comes to that."

As they danced, Ahsoka could feel the mood shift. She could sense Lux's focus drifting elsewhere.

"Whatcha thinkin about?" she asked softly.

"Oh, nothing." He blushed.

She chose to ignore that for now. "I noticed a garden on the way in to the palace. Wanna check it out?"

"Sure."

They walked together, hand in hand, to a small courtyard behind the palace, there was a stream next to a wooden gazebo covered in vines and flowers.

Lux pulled off his shoes and rolled up his pants before taking a few steps into the stream. He stood silently, gazing out at the trees and the water.

She joined him, removing her heels and wading into ankle deep the water. "Really, Lux, what's on your mind? You're oddly quiet."

He took a few steps toward her and placed a kiss on her lekku. "Just thinking about you... me.. us. Wishing it would never end."

She leaned her head against his chest and closed her eyes. Ahsoka felt her joints loosen and she relaxed against him. "I don't know how long this is going to work, Lux. I'm a Jedi. I have a duty to the Republic, and sneaking away to go to a ball with my boyfriend isn't helping the people out there threatened by Dooku."

He pulled her closer. His hot breath on her forehead sent a chill down her spine.

"I know, Ahsoka, but I want to be with you. I won't ask you to give up the Jedi Order to be with me because that's not fair, but I don't care if I have to quit the Senate to make it work."

"No, Lux. You know who you are here. Me, I'm still looking. I've always been looking." She wanted to be with him forever, but she didn't belong here on Onderon. She never had, and he knew that.

Lux gazed into her eyes, his expression at ease and full of longing. He bent down, his lips against her cheek, brushing it lightly. Shivers ran through her whole body now, making her tremble.

The aching anticipation for his lips to meet hers was suddenly too much. She reached up and pulled his mouth to hers. He groaned softly, low in his throat, and then his arms circled her, gathering her against him as the ripples in the stream washed over their bare feet. He kissed her tenderly as she pulled him in closer.

She could feel his warmth burning through his clothes and hers. She trailed her nose across his jaw, inhaling the familiar smell of the jungle around them and his citrus cologne. Her breath quickened. They seemed to share each breath, each heartbeat.

"I believe we can make this work," he said, pulling back and looking down at her. "I have to. Because I love you, Ahsoka." Her heart skipped a beat. He loved her? He kissed her nose, then traced the line of her cheek with his fingertip, his dreamlike intensity making her heartbeat flutter. "I love you more than anything, and I can't lose you."

She smiled, nestling against his side. "Then I guess we'll have to make it work because I love you, too." He toyed with her fingers while she tried, unsuccessfully, to settle her heart back in her body.

"You have no idea how good it feels, hearing you say that you love me." He rested his chin between her montrals as his arms snaked around her waist.

She closed her eyes. "I feel like I'm finally home."