5.

5.

The girls were sitting around painting each other's nails. Zoey was getting hers painted a deep blue.

"This is so fun! Thanks for having me, Madison," Ashley said, smiling at her nails. Madison smiled back at her. "It's no problem. Brooke's told us a lot about you. We wanted to meet you." The other two girls nodded in agreement.

Brooke pulled Ashley close. "Start with A, ask a question." Ashley smiled back, "don't worry, I so got this."

Zoey grinned. This would be good.

"So, what's everyone's fastest time doing the rubix cube?" She asked excitedly. Zoey hid her grin in her shoulder. Know your audience, Ash.

Brooke quickly whispered, "Not that question, not that question." Ashley nodded and looked around. "What's everyone's favorite Noble gas?"

"Favorite what?" Harper asked. Zoey raised an eyebrow. "You can have a favorite? "

"Mines helium," Brooke offered. She looked at Zoey pleadingly. She nodded and leaned towards Ashley.

"Ash, you've gotta connect. Talk about nails."

Ashley nodded. "It's so much fun connecting by doing something together. Specifically our nails," She gestured with her freshly painted nails. "I've never gotten a manicure before."

"Never?" Madison asked in shock. "Why not?"

"Let me be relatable with a story. When I was 8, I learned there was formaldehyde and dibutyl phthalate in nail polish, which are both human carcinogens, which kind of killed my desire."

Yikes.

"So you're saying were going to get cancer from this?" Harper asked.

"Don't worry about nail polish," Ashley said as Sadie put the bottles of polish down, "Worry about your phone!"

Zoey grinned and shook her head. "Who wants to watch a movie?"

Everyone brightened at that. Madison got up and moved towards the tv. "I have a few old DVDs we can choose from."

"Awesome! Ash, let's go get some popcorn!" Brooke pulled Ashely into the kitchen.

Subtle.

Madison sat up with a handful of DVDs.

"We have a few romcoms, dramas, and I don't think anyone wants to watch horror," Madison laughed as she separated the pile.

"So, drama or romcoms?" Sadie asked. Zoey shrugged, "I'm good with anything."

"I love romcoms, what do you have?" Harper asked. Madison pulled out one DVD. It was Better off Dead.

"Have you ever seen this?" Zoey said, picking it up and turning the case over in her hand. "It's from 1985."

She opened the case and it had the Notebook in its place.

"Tragic," She said, showing the girls what she found.

"Oh, I love that movie!" Madison said. Zoey shrugged. "I think we should look for a romcom to watch."

Sadie picked up a different DVD. "How about Never Been Kissed?"

Zoey nodded and looked to the other two girls. "Ok, so it's down to The Notebook and Never Been Kissed," Madison said as Ashley and Brooke walked back in with two bowls of popcorn.

"Oh! I can relate to that, I've never been kissed, " Ashley said excitedly. Brooke and Zoey share a tired look.

"That's the name of a movie," Harper explained. Madison looked at Ashley in disbelief. "You've never been kissed?"

"My vote's for The Notebook," Brooke said, sitting awkwardly.

"Ashley, aren't you curious? I mean, do you want your first kiss?"

"Of course."

"Then we'll help you." Madison decided. "We'll play spin the bottle!"

Sadie jumped up. "Yes! It'll be so fun and retro. Like Facebook."

Zoey laughed. "Mood."

"And we'll be creating a moment you'll never forget."

"We're basically dream makers," Harper added.

"I'm gonna borrow Ash for a sec," Brooke pulled her to a corner of the room and Zoey followed. They looked at Ashley with concern.

"I know the girls are excited, but do you want to play spin the bottle?" Brooke asked.

"Of course. I'll get my first kiss, and I'll get connected with the squad. Win-win!"

Zoey bit her lip. "Are you sure? It's a pretty awkward way to get a first kiss."

Ashley nodded confidently and they joined back up with the girls.

"There aren't any guys here," Ashley said, "not to be too heteronormative but, how are we gonna play spin the bottle?"

Zoey nodded. "Yeah, I mean, Ash and I are cousins and only two of the six of us here are not straight," Zoey quietly fist bumped Harper.

"We'll text all the boys in our grade! I'll take the A-J's," Madison said. Sadie continued, "I'll take the K-Z's."

"I'll take all the Dylan's," Harper said. "I've got the football team," Zoey finished, pulling out her phone, quietly humming under her breath, "it's not a party, it's a get together."

She sent a text in the group chat that had everyone on the team in it and soon she got confirmed attendance from almost everyone.

Except for Stick.

She quickly pulled up his contact.

101: hey, Maddison is having a party and we need more guys
101: do you think you could come? 

Log: I don't know
Log: you know how I get at parties

101: you'll be with me the whole time! You won't have to hide in a bathroom
101: if you really don't want to come I won't force you

After a minute with no reply, Zoey looked up from her phone.

"The football team is on their way," She said with a grin. The girls smile and make their way to the kitchen to prepare for the guests.

Brooke stayed back with Zoey. She raised her eyebrows at her. "The whole football team, huh?"

Zoey rolls her eyes with a playful smile. "I haven't heard back from Stick, yet, if that's what you're asking."

That's when her phone went off. Brooke snatched it from her hand and leaned on her so they could both read at the same time.

Log:  no it's fine I'll go
Log: but only if you stay with me the whole time

"Ooh! He's coming!" Brooke scrolled up and Zoey shoved her lightly to grab her phone back. "Oh? And he's going to stay with you the whole time, huh?" She teases. Brooke lets her grab her phone as they both laugh.