Chapter Forty-Two

I could feel the flames on my feet as I rushed out the house, slipping on the oil. I grabbed onto the hot wall balancing myself, Jesus Isandra. The temperature could get greater than three hundred degrees Celsius, even being near the house was enough to knock you unconscious from the powerful smoke already filling my nostrils.

It was potent.

This house had only seconds before it was going to catch fire. I closed the door brushing off the small flame that caught my arm, I could feel my skin lightly burnt. It would heal, like all things, it just needed time.

The cool air against my palm that touched the hot wall should have been relaxed against the cold wind, but instead it felt worst. All gritty and tingling. I wriggled my fingers fastening my pace. 

Daniel was exactly where I let him, not like he could move anywhere, more controlled over his emotions as his eyes opened as I came closer, he narrowed them when he saw me.

"I hate you,"

"I know, get up," I said roughly kicking his side as he groaned. I bent down grabbing his injured arm up and giving it a pull to make him stand up, the sound he made, was well, deserved.

"You had too didn't you," 

"Yes," I said silently as the loud explosion started behind me, I could feel the heat roll of the burning house as I pulled Daniel further into the wood, ignoring his protests and murmurs for me to slow down.

"Can you slow down?" I ignored him, did he want to burn and burst into flames? I know for sure I didn't want to. I didn't know how it felt for people who died in  burning homes but that few seconds in there, it was horrible.

I could still smell the smoke in my lungs, on my clothes, and the air around me. God it hurt to even breathe, every breathe it wasn't cold air that went up my nose, it was warm burning. I wiped the bottom of my nose with my sleeve, nope no change, my face felt sticky and scalded, like the fresh skin when you pull a scab or a wound. When it felt hot and hurt to touch it.

"Fuck stop woman,"  with the strength he had left he dug his heels into the ground. 

I let his arm go and he fell to the ground groaning and I rolled my eyes, what a sook. I looked back at the flames in the sky, at least we were far enough and the fire wouldn't spread too much. or I hope it didn't and I hoped the authorities I called came fast enough.

I looked at Daniel biting my lip as his eyes were closed, murmuring something to  himself, no doubt trying to control his pain.

He deserved it. 

I kicked a stray rock walking a few steps away from him, we came to the edge of the mountain and looking down I could see the water. It wasn't that far above the land, in fact this would have been a perfect spot to jump into the water in summer to relax.

One hand on my hip I took out my phone, no signal, life just gets perfect. Stupid connection.

"If you're thinking of pushing me off the cliff, I'll take you down with me,"

I turned around, Daniel was sitting up holding his other palm against his left shoulder.

I walked back crouching down to his level, "If I was going to kill you, I would have killed you back then, actually I would have shot you in the throat, want to know why?"

His face scrunched up as he stared at me in disgust, "You would choke on your own blood as you breathe, you would know how it felt to be dying but not dying fast enough, blood spiting out of your mouth, shoulder and your throat, isn't that a wonderful way to die?"