Count down

We were frozen with indecision. All of us had a vendetta against the Capitol and the President that ordered all this is now inches away from a blade.

"40, 39, 38, 37...."

Oh god. I can't do this.

My throat blocked up at the terrified faces of the kneeling people in rows before me, awaiting for the decision that may or may not end their lives.

"24, 23, 22 , 21...."

The others looked expectantly at me to give the order to kill. I had a reputation before that made me sort of their leader I guess. I swallowed with dread at the decision I had made in my mind already.

"13, 12, 11 ,10..."

I opened my mouth to shout the order but nothing came out. My mind wanted to rebel against that decision so badly but I had to do it. My throat clenched in response.

"4, 3, 2"

"Stand down." My voice was a whisper that could be heard by everyone.

Callum dropped the dagger from his neck and handed it back to me with disappointment in his eyes. I took up the heavy metal chains that laid at my feet and put it on my wrists, showing my subserviency. The rest of us fighters did the same. Anger simmered in us.

The back of my eyes burned with unshed tears at the thought of us giving in to the Capitol, awaiting their every demand to bring us down even further. This hurt even more so as my parents murderer was standing in front of me smirking and there was nothing I could do about it.

But I wouldn't be able to bear the death of anyone that dies because of me.

I am nothing like them.

"Good girl," His voice dripping with sarcasm.

"Now round them up and start taking their names and blood to ensure that everyone has entered the Reaping."

Reaping. What a perfect name for this freak show they were doing.

We shuffled back into line with our eyes boring into the head of the murdering bastard the whole time whilst the rest of District 10's children were prodded and poked by the ends of the guns to stand up and get into line with the rest of us.

Our names and blood were slowly taken one by one starting from the left where they poked us with a needle and recorded it into their electronic pads that they carried with them.

My turn came and I lifted my shackled hands towards the glaring Peacekeeper. The needle was suddenly stabbed hard and deep into my finger, I held back the hiss of pain and lifted my chin defiantly against the Peacekeeper that was hurting me on purpose.

"Oops." He smiled sadistically.

"That would teach you a lesson. Too bad the Capitol didn't want you to get too hurt before the games," He looked satisfied at my now bleeding jagged cut after he yanked the needle out side ways so it sliced my flesh.

"Oh you mean this teeny little baby cut? Its nothing unless you think it would have hurt you if you did that to yourself?" I taunted him.

He clenched his jaw and strode off to the next person. I laughed wearily to myself.

I pressed my bleeding index finger against my thumb to stop the blood flow and looked around at the other fighters whom, may I say, weren't grimacing in hideous pain whilst being stabbed by the needle.

I guess I was the only one that got the special treatment.

---------------------------------------

Some time later.

"I will now be glad to announce the tributes that are now selected to enter the Humger Games. As the old saying goes, ladies first."

The rustling sound of the machine that was churning the papers came to a halt. The silence was suffocating. I was praying so hard, so very hard that no one I knew or cared about would be chosen. Their imminent deaths.

"Drumroll please."