epilogue

Months after your regretful depart from Jean, you settled for a boring life in the interior with zero action, but at best, your mother was finally recovering and getting proper medical care.

You and your brother combined salaries to pay for a small, but cozy townhome in Stohess. You had fully moved in, and hired a nurse to care for your mother in-home, giving her treatment weekly.

Before heading to work, you spent some time with her, telling her about your experience at the camp, and the battle of Trost. She was extremely interested in those stories, and frequently asked to hear them.

"I really didn't think I would make it." You chuckled, folding some clothes your mother left lying around her room.

"I'm very proud of you, [Y/N]." She smiled, happy with your accomplishments. "You sacrificed everything for me, even though I told you countless times not to."

"It was worth it. Doctors here are much better than in Utopia. On top of it all, the weather is much nicer in Stohess." You said.

"Are you sure it was worth it? You've sacrificed your own mental health, too." Your mother sighed.

"Stop. What I went through was something totally out of my control." You reassured her. "I didn't take into account the Trost attack."

Your mother cut you off. "I'm talking about Jean too, [Y/N]."

"Oh." You paused.

"Your psychiatrist is worried about you. All because of that one day." Your mother explained, pulling out some paperwork. She read through it. "They state that you suffered the loss of a loved one?"

"Mind I remind you I lost another friend, too? Literally, his face was half eaten. I saw his brains falling out of his skull, ma." You spat, pulling the paper out of her hand and placing it on a dresser.

"Are you sure it's not because you live every day wondering if your boyfriend lived through the day or not? You worry about him endlessly."

You rolled your eyes at the same old conversation you had with your mother. "Goodbye, ma." You said, heading out of her room.

You stepped out of your house and closed the door behind you, locking it with a key. In the corner of your eye, you saw the neighbourhood's mailman walk up to your door.

"Are you Miss [Y/N] [L/N]?" He asked.

You smiled and nodded. "Sure is. Anything come for me?"

He reached into his duffel bag, took out a stamped white envelope and handed it to you.

"Thank you." You said, taking it from him and resuming your walk to the Military's headquarters.

You noticed the wax stamp had the Survey Corps logo on it, and promptly opened the envelope. You took out the note that was inside and read it impatiently.

Dear [Y/N],

    I'm writing this letter to you three days before you receive it, I think. I've lost track of what day it is, I've had a busy month. Sorry I haven't written to you, I truthfully didn't have the time or the chance. My supervisor is some four foot something asshat. I promise I'll try my best to write you weekly from here on out. I hope you and your family are doing well. Is your mother doing better? How's your brother? I'm missing you a lot over here. Did I mention Eren can turn into a fucking titan? I'm still stronger than him though, I gave him a black eye the other day... sorry, I just get full of myself when I talk about my victories. I survived my first expedition. Almost died though, some titan sent my ODM gear flying. Not gonna lie, it was kind of epic.

Ah, the asshat is yelling at me to get back to work. Talk to you next week. I'm expecting a reply! Oh, and if this gets to you in three days, happy birthday. I love you so much.

Yours Truly,
        Jean Kirstein.