- Chapter One: It's a Deal -

Lorelai Winters couldn’t understand it. She found herself baffled daily by the obsession people had with her uncle’s most popular client: Conrad Birdie.

She had only ever met the Rock star once at some formal party her uncle had hosted in an effort to gain some media attention, and even then, she had only really caught a glimpse of him.

She was aware of his dashing good looks and seductive singing voice but found herself unaffected by the charm that seemed to make every other woman go weak at the knees. He was simply a man. A man that had too much power and ego for her liking.

“Morning, Rose.” Lorelai greets as she enters the Almaelou Music Corporation office her uncle owned.

Rose lifts her gaze from the typewriter briefly to greet her boyfriend's niece with a fond smile, “Morning, Lorelai. How are you?”

“I’m okay. I'm just a little tired. How are you?” Lorelai replies with a smile while hanging her jacket on the coat stand. Then, she turns and walks to seat herself in the chair opposite Rose’s small secretary desk.

She had to admit, it felt mildly odd to see Rose tucked in the corner of the room behind a worn-out wooden desk when she did so much around the office. Never mind, the things she did for Lorelai's uncle. Rose was far more than a secretary, and everyone knew it.

Rose sighs and drops her hands from the typewriter. She frowns slightly and turns to face her boyfriend’s niece. “I’ve been better. I’m breaking up with Albert and resigning today.” she tells the younger woman with a determined yet slightly saddened gaze, causing Lorelai to let out a gasp and cover her mouth with her hand in shock.

“What?”

“Lorelai, you and I both know that I do far more than what is specified in my contract. I am much more than a secretary. I have given eight years to this company - to your uncle. Eight long years of waiting for him to take the next step, for him to finally commit to me... to us. I just can’t wait any longer. I can’t waste more time waiting for something that is clearly never going to happen, no matter how much my heart yearns for it.” Rose explains sadly.

It hurt Lorelai’s heart to hear this, to know that her uncle was losing both a romantic partner and secretary all in one day. Of course, Rose was right in what she had said. Her actions would be justified because she really had given her all to this company and Albert for the last eight years, even when she had nothing left to give. Yet, as always, Albert failed to reciprocate the feelings and effort. He would hide away, running from his feelings and responsibility. He was a mummies boy to put it bluntly; always needing his mother's approval for all that he did. He never had pulled on his big boy pants. Not once in his life had he told his mother no and meant it.

Lorelai sighs sadly and leans forward to place a comforting hand on Rose’s hand that rests atop the desk. “I’m sorry that things have worked out this way. He loves you, though, even if he doesn’t say it. He would be lost without you, and so would this company, but I understand why you have to do this. It's just really sad.” She mumbles.

Rose smiles appreciatively just as the office door swings open, and Albert enters in his usual professional attire and a concerned expression on his face.

Lorelai stands and follows her uncle into his office with a forced smile. She pulls out a chair opposite his desk and seats herself in it as he finally sits down in his office chair after hanging his coat and hat up. He offers her a small smile, one that he always offered her. It was a gesture that reminded Lorelai just how good a man he was. He had always helped her even though he had no biological obligation to do so. He had almost always supported her decisions and even offered her a job at his office.