CH.25 Through the looking glass

Start from the beginning

"I did the work," Eden rolled her eyes. She went back to grading as Alec marked his book. The little office fell back into silence as they worked side by side.

Alec's eyes flickered to Eden a few times as she chewed on the pen cap and chewed on her bottom lips.

"Something on your mind?" He asked.

Eden lifted her eyes slowly and took a deep breath. Alec braced himself. He had learned she only did that when she had something big to say.

"What is it?" he asked, putting down his paper.

"Asher," Eden started slowly. "Asher asked me out on a date."

"Oh," Alec didn't know what else to say.

"I told him I would think about it," Eden started to pick at her fingernail.

A long silence stretched on between them as Alec tried to push the hurt away from his heart. He knew someday this day would come. If Eden could deal with Grace then Alec had to learn to deal with Asher....or whoever it might end up being.

"I think you should say yes," Alec said after a while.

Eden lifted her gaze and stared at him. Her brown eyes burned from within, but she shook her head and fanned the tears away.

"He knows I have feelings for you," She told Alec.

"He does?"

"Yeah," Eden nodded. "He said he noticed the way I look at you."

Alec nodded his head, "I guess we're not as good as we thought we were."

Eden laughed, "No, I guess we're not."

"What else did Asher say?"

Eden sighed, "He wants me to try with him."

"Try what?" Alec's eyes snapped up at her.

"Relax," Eden rolled her eyes. "Nothing of that nature. He wanted me to try dating him again."

"Even though he knows you have feelings for me?"

"Asher's always been optimistic," Eden shrugged.

Just then, Eden beeped on her lap. She checked it quickly to find a text from her father.

"I have to go," Eden picked up her stuff.

"Okay," Alec nodded. "Can I come by tonight?"

Eden smiled, "I would like that very much."

"Same time?"

"Same time," Eden said as she exited his office.

Alec and Eden had grown a habit of late night talks. He would climb up to her balcony and they would sit outside and talk for hours. Sometimes, even Mrs. Vanderhuge joined them. Of course she only threw around insults but the old woman was slowly growing on Eden.

So it was no surprise to Eden when she jumped into Jackson's car and found Mrs. Vanderhuge sitting in the backseat. The old woman was fond of visiting the palace. Even though she would never admit it, she liked the company of the children.

"Good afternoon, Eden," Adeline greeted the witch as she entered the lab with Mrs. Vanderhuge.

"Hello, baby girl," Eden kissed her cheek. "Where is the other one?"

"Maya had a game today," Adeline smiled.

"What are you doing?" Eden asked as she watched the little girl pour water into test tubes.