After The Funeral

"Are you alright Colonel?" Her soft voice rang gently into my ears. My Lieutenant brought her gaze upon me to see if I had changed in stature. 

   "Yeah.. I'm fine." I felt a rush of emotion hit me as I narrowed my gaze. My trusty Lieutenant Hawkeye stood parallel to me, looking up at me. I slowly brought my cap up upon my head, fitting it on softly. "Maybe if I picked the phone up sooner... maybe if I had stayed with him... maybe..." the thoughts flooded my mind as I slowly brought my chin up toward the sky.

   "Except... it's a terrible day for rain.." the words slipped through my lips deeply, every fiber of my being holding tears of sorrow from rushing forward. I did everything I could to keep my emotions in check at all costs. But I could feel my dry eyes begin to moisten, that's why I stated the words as I did.

   Riza picked up her chin and raised it to the sky, observing as much as she in such small time.

   "What do you mean? It's not raining." She said softly with a soft blink, confused by my words as she picked her gaze back up towards me.

   "Yes..." a single, thick tear streamed furiously down my left cheek as I lifted my chin up slightly and allowed my emotions to flow out of me. "It is..." I felt myself choke up horribly enough that not another word escaped my mouth. I stood there, staring at the blue skies.

   Her eyes burst open slightly enough at the sight of my raw emotions. She calmly stood there and gasped slightly, she let her tense body release and looked down slightly.

   "Oh.. so it is.." was all that was muttered through her soft lips, sadness rolling through her also. "Why don't we head back.. it's getting chilly out here..." those words were unheard to me as I continued to stare up.

   "I suppose we should..." I was able to respond ever so quietly and cleared my tight throat. I looked down at the grave and saluted as common soldiers always did. The single tear released its grasp on my chin and slowly fell downward onto the stone grave as I turned to face the entrance of the funeral yard. I stood silently in a mix of shock and unknowing of how to react. I related to those Elric boys and their mother, I craved for the knowledge of Human Transmutation.

   "Sir..." Riza said softly, not to my knowing, we had been standing for a couple minutes. She approached me and frowned slightly.

   "What is it Lieu-" before I could finish my sentence, I felt her warm arms wrap around my side and pulling me into her. I could feel her blushing face dig itself into my shoulder as she calmly said,

   "I'm here..." I felt a soft blush stain my face and more tears arise.