“Fair enough, do you want to see something incredible?” He asks.

I give him a strange look and shrug. “Sure.”

With my consent, Dylan holds out his arms towards the lake- a fierce look of concentration on his face. Slowly, the water moves under his will, building up until it is a large wall at least 15 foot high. Unleashing it, the tsunami flows quickly across the lake and crashes down on the bank the other side.

“Wow…” I say impressed. “So I control fire and you control water then?” I ask squinting up at him.

“Uh-huh,” he says dropping down to sit beside me.

“Are there others?”

“Oh, yes…just not with the same powers over fire-that’s unique to you,” he explains.

“So, where are they? What am I? How many are there like us?” I fire at him.

“Whoa…okay…here goes…you are a Light Potent and part of a completely different race from the Humans. Within our race the most powerful beings are the Elementors who, like you and I, control a specific element such as fire, water, air or earth. There are also the Psychics who can control and read people’s minds. Then there are the Naturors who can share a deep bond with plants and especially animals; they are of great help to an Earth Elementor as they both forge power from the same source but in different ways. A Naturor can’t use the earth to create earthquakes but they can communicate much easier to animals and plants than an Earth Elementor can. They’re both normally bonded.

There are also the Defenders who can only shield themselves and others from harm and are essential in battle. Finally there are the Talentors who have essentially superhuman powers such as super: speed, strength, intelligence, smell, hearing and sight. They all live in a different Earth dimension in lands that are unquestionably stunning.” Dylan describes.

“Wow…that all sounds like flowers and sunshine to me, but I’m guessing that there’s a dark side of the force to with whom the good guys would battle?” I guess.

“Your guess is correct for how would we know light without darkness? How would we know good without evil? Unfortunately where there is power, there are also selfish, malevolent, machiavellian creatures that seek to cause others pain for their own enjoyment. These Dark Potents can control lightning and electricity. There are also Changelings that can morph into an exact replica of whoever they want except they cannot use the person’s power unless they drain them. The Dark Potents thirst for power is ceaseless and they are made ever more powerful because of it. Many Light Potents have been sneakily stolen from us over the years and have never returned. They have been our bitter enemies for centuries and when the time is right I’m sure one side of the Potents shall prevail in an ultimate battle, but for now we live secretly in fear of their next strike.”

“Wow, that’s awfully sinister. So, how do you get to Hogwarts? Through platform 93/4?”

His eyebrows furrow in confusion. “What’s Hogwarts?”

I sigh dramatically. “You really haven’t spent enough time around humans have you?”

“Well, I’m only really here to retrieve you.”

“RETRIEVE ME? What am I some lost puppy?! Are you going to put a leash on me and say ‘here girl’?” I question him, whilst Dylan chuckles.

“No,” he replies “I guess you’re just one of my ruler’s loose ends.”

“So you live under a dictatorship?”

“I guess, but he would never make any big decisions without the other potents consent.”

“So how do I come into all of this?”

“I think it would be best to talk to your mother about that, I’m sure that she knows more about who you are than you think.”

“Right.”

After a small pause Dylan speaks up. “You’re taking all this surprisingly well,” he admits.

“What did you think I would do? Start having a panic attack?”

“I wouldn’t put it past you, not with your mood swings and short-temper,” he argues.

“It’s not my fault that I can’t tolerate irritating people,” I snap at him.

“One last thing.”

“What.”

“Does the girl know?” He asks with concern.

“I’m guessing by ‘the girl’,” I air quotation marks with my fingers, “you mean Izzy and no, she doesn’t,” I let out a half-laugh “I learned my lesson on that one.”

“What do you mean? What happened?” He presses.

“Let’s just say, I made a BIG mistake; I thought she would understand I thought she wouldn’t…,”I pause, hanging my head down “she called me a wicked witch and then ran away,” I shrug “I guess some people can’t handle the truth.” I explain feeling depressed.

He then places his hand on mine, relieving me of the headache and I smile gratefully at him. With nothing else left to say we sit there in a comfortable silence- watching the sun disappear below the horizon.