"Who?" Steve asked.

     "Some new kid. He's got a mullet, real cool car, surprisingly attractive," Ruth told him as she remembered meeting Billy. "But, I'm pretty sure he's like you from last year."

     "What's that supposed to mean?" Steve asked, confused with her statement.

     "A douche bag of the highest level," Ruth said, standing from her bed. "I'll point him out tomorrow. Now, get out. I have work to do." She ignored Steve's protests and questions of what this new boy had done, and shut the door in his face to avoid the interrogation. Once it was shut, Ruth turned to her bed and continued her work.

-----

     The parking lot of Hawkins High School was packed as always. Ruth never rode to school with her brother, seeing as he liked to pick up Nancy every single day. Ruth was currently sitting against her car, smoking before she had to go inside to her first class of the day. She was about to throw her cigarette to the ground when a familiar Camaro sped into the parking lot. A smile grew on Ruth's face at the sight, and it parked two spaces down from her.

     Max pushed herself out of the car first, speeding to the middle school on her skateboard. Billy flung his door open, both his boots hitting the ground hard as he stepped out. He pushed himself up, then took a look around as if to judge the school by their first encounter. His eyes landed on Ruth, who was watching him study the world around him. A smirk fell on his face, the girl rolling her eyes as she looked away. He flicked his cigarette away, slamming his door as he walked to Ruth.

     "Nice to see a pretty face, angel," Billy told her.

     "Hm, why are you calling me 'angel'?" Ruth asked.

     "You are on, aren't you?" he asked, smiling. Ruth kept her eyes on him as he stood in front of her, then flicked her cigarette to the ground.

     "Far from it, William," she answered. She grabbed her bag from her car, turning and walking into the school with a smile on her face. She could see her brother watching her, their eyes connecting. She just nodded at him 'yes' to answer the question she knew he wanted to ask. Steve's face scrunched in anger, eyes going to Billy again. He could feel anger pooling up inside him as he watched the teenage boy walk into the school with his chest held high. It would be a long senior year.

-----

     The school bell rang through the halls for third period to end, and fourth period to start. For Ruth, that was her lunch period. She grabbed her lunch and headed out to her car to see Carol was already sitting there with Tommy.

     "You meet the new kid, yet?" Tommy asked with a wide smile.

     "I did. What's it to you, Thomas?" Ruth snapped, jumping onto the hood of the car.

     "I have it on good authority that he's into you," Carol said, nudging Ruth slightly. "Maybe he'll be the King to your Queen."

     "I'm not looking for anyone, Carol. Honestly, I don't know why you two are still here," Ruth said, breathing out smoke from her cigarette. "I feel like I've very clearly stated that you two suck."

     "Well, you're still more fun than your brother," Carol inquired.

     "God, again with my brother, Carol. Give it a rest," Ruth snapped. "You two, honestly..."

     "There a problem, angel?" Ruth's eyes shut at the voice, eyes going past Tommy to see Billy walking up to them. More kids were beginning to flood to the parking lot for lunch, so it didn't seem as deserted.

     "No, no problem," Tommy answered quickly.

     "Tommy, right?" Billy asked, pointing to him. "I've heard about you a bit." Ruth rolled her eyes, knowing exactly where this was going. "You're, uh, you're looking for a new king since you won't man up and do it yourself."

     "Tommy's always been a follower," Ruth piped up. "Imagine that freckle face as a leader." Billy chuckled lightly at her words, studying Tommy for a moment. Ruth looked to Carol who seemed to be checking out Billy a lot, eyes trailing all over his body. She could feel jealousy in her stomach, and the urge to grab Carol's arm just to see what she was feeling. But Billy's words snapped her out of her trance.

     "So, I hear there's a party the night of Halloween," he began. "I feel like I should show you all what a real party looks like."

     "Oh, really?" Ruth questioned. She pushed herself off the car, feet carrying her towards Billy. He watched her walk to him, something evil in his eyes. "And what's a real party look like, William?"

     "Ruth!" She screwed her eyes shut again, recognizing the voice to be her brothers. She opened them again, placing a hand on Billy's shoulder. All at once, she felt a wave of so many different emotions. Anger, arousal, sadness, hatred, all of the feelings dark. None of them were happy, though. She managed to keep her smile, then pat his shoulder once. She walked around him to her brother who was walking with Nancy. "What are you doing?"

     "Why do you want to know?" Ruth asked.

     "Because you're my sister and I care," Steve answered. "He bothering you?"

     "No, Steve, far from it. Can I live my life without you living over me like a shadow?" Ruth asked, raising an eyebrow at him. Steve took a second, then sighed out. "Thank you."

     "Hey, wait, don't think I didn't see you grab his arm," Steve said, pulling her back to him. "What's going on with him?"

     "Lot of anger, lot of hatred, zero happiness," Ruth answered.

     "So you'll back off now, right?" Steve asked, hoping she'd say yes.

     "Back off? No, no, no, Steven. This is all the more reason to try," Ruth told him with a toothy grin. She turned away from her, walking back to her car proudly. 

-----

first. chapter.
y'all i'm so excited for this.
it's top tier.
i know mary is the original, but...
ruth and billy are something else

i hope you enjoyed, angels!